Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WIPE MY HARD DRIVE

• Please log in to reply

WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

• Pip
  • 3 posts
MY COMPUTER IS INFESTED WITH SPYWARE ADWARE TROJEN ETC ETC SO IVE DECIDED TO WIPE MY HARD DRIVE AND START AFRESH, AS IM NOT AS CLUED UP AS MOST PEOPLE ON HERE I WAS LOOKING FOR SOME ASSISTANCE. i CURRENTLEY HAVE XP BUT AM WANTING TO GET RID OF IT AND REINSTALL WINDOWS 2000, COULD SOMEONE LET ME KNOW HOW TO GO ABOUT DOING THIS THANKS.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
First, just a polite reminder that typing in ALL CAPS is generally interpreted as shouting and is not within bounds what is considered proper etiquette. Some folks might shout a correction. I just gave you a polite reminder.

If you want to do a clean install of W2K you will need a full version, bootable CD. Fire up your pc, put the disk in the drive, then do a restart. It will boot to the cd. You can then format the hard drive to NTFS and install.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that when you do this, windows checks your system and if it sees you already have WXP it thinks it is smarter than you and won't let you do it? Don't know for sure, I have never tried doing this. But if it does, I assume you have a full version bootable CD of WXP as well? Seems you could still accomplish what you want by booting to that, formatting the drive to NTFS, then change to W2K cd and restart, and proceed with your install.

I hate it when Windows thinks it is smarter than me....
Just curious as to why you want to go from XP to W2K? I have 4 computers, use XP Pro on two of them and W2K Pro on two of them. :tazz:

WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the capps advice the reason I am putting 2000 on is that I dont have any boot disks or the xp cd all I have is a 2000 cd is there anyway I can wipe my hard drive without the xp or boot disks?

Prosperus

Prosperus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Wright - As someone who has had to wipe windows xp on many occassions I can assure you that you're in for an interesting time, especially if you don't have the xp cd or boot disk. Try to find any windows version cd you can, although xp would be preferable.

Also, if you can even manage to get the xp cd, you have to reconfigure your boot order to make it load cd first. Then you let the setup load and select recovery consoloe (all you have to press is R). Then from there you eventually get to a command prompt asking you for the administrator's password. Get past that and if you're lucky you can then format from there.

d*** XP for being so difficult.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you don't have a bootable cd, go here for some assistance. Lots of good links here too: http://www.bootdisk.com/

I made myself a bootable cd following "barts" guide at http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/

If you have the full bootable W2K cd, you can try booting from it and see if you can do a clean install without it telling you "hey but, you got XP which is superior to me, so I ain't going to let you do it!! Like I said, I seem to remember reading that it will do that but I have not tried it myself. You should be able to find a solution at the links above.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you considered removing the spyware, all can be removed

WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

WRIGHTWRIGHTWRIGHT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
thanks for the links ill give them a go in response to keith ive tried downloading loads of spyware software and nothing works if you could advise me on how to get rid of it without the hastle of installing 2k then i would be extremely gratefull

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run through this, free, start with Panda Active, then scroll down to spyware and get everything, not sure about IE-SPYAD as have never used. Post the Hijack this log in the forum for it and someone who knows how to understand them will help you. I would be surprised if you end up with something you cannot remove ahead of formatting the drive

List

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
So you Do or dont have a windows Xp cd? If you do pop it in and hit enter once you get to the first screen then hit then look for format or fresh install... I think it is option L or hit esc key. I cant remember now. But try it.