Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Urgent Problem! (Nevermind)

• Please log in to reply

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
This all started after he upgraded his computer with a new video card. He's done almost absolutely everything and now his computer has gone and become unstable.

What I need to know is if it's possible to make a partition so that he can save his files while doing a complete format of his hard drive. He has Windows XP and 89.1GB of space free.

This is horribly frustrating.

Edited by KazarSanaga, 07 January 2007 - 06:06 PM.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

cheers..xxx1

hi,

Have you checked for updated video card software also ?..

cheers...xxx1

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
"Unable to locate component."

Like I've stated, his system has become unstable. A lot of functions have flat out stopped working.

Edit: The updated drivers is when it started crashing, from then on everything just got worse and now it's really messed up. He attempted a Recovery Feature on his computer and this unstablility is the end result.

Edited by KazarSanaga, 07 January 2007 - 12:25 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
have you tried un-installing the new video card, and tried another card just to narrow down the problem before anything else to make sure that it is the card making your friends pc to bcome unstable ?.

KazarSanaga

KazarSanaga

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes, he's tried that. I'm just trying to help in some way, he's been to countless other help sites. Even after he put his old video card back in and got rid of every(data and registry) trace of the new card, the computer would still crash.

He has decided to call it quits for today, I'll post again if we run into anything.

Thanks for responding, xxx1.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
have you done a scan lately to make sure that you don't have any malware/viruses installed.

hopefully you have this resolved by now, however if you are still having issues and suspect that it is malware related I would start with our malware forum and see if they can make sure you don't have any malware installed.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

cheers...xxx1

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Have you tried booting without a video card all together?