Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual DVD burner, 2 IDE channels..

• Please log in to reply

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Hey folks, how's it going?

Well, enough chatter :whistling: Ok, here's what's going on. I'll Soon build myself a new tower, and I have a plan, just not sure if it can be done..

Seeing the price difference between DVD-ROM and DVD burners now, (10$CDN) I am going to put two Samsung DVD burners into my tower. I'd like to get them both on seperate IDE channels, as follows:

the first DVD burner on the IDE channel you used to put HDD's on, and put it as MASTER
the second DVD burner on the regular optical drive IDE channel, also as Master

The harddrives, on SATA.

This, in my mind, would allow much greater bandwith while doing on-the-fly reading/burning of a DVD, also could allow simultanious burning of 2 dvds with no slowdown. I was just wondering if windows would have any problems with my plan?

Having an optical drive on the HDD IDE channel I know can be done, but as slave, with another HDD as master..

Is my plan feasible, or am I just dreaming?

I thank you and await your reply.

Advertisements

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
What your suggesting is just simply to ide cables. For that to be feasible you are simply going to need a motherboard with two ide ports. I currently have a dvd-rw and a cd-rw on seperate ide cables on my pc. Simply because i felt like putting them that way and I have two sata hdds installed. It is completely feasible you just need to find a mobo with two ide ports. One is not specifically allocated for hdd in newer mobo's because of the advant of wonderful sata technology.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ah, allright. Looking over motherboards, most of them still have the 2 IDE ports on em, mind you.. But what you say makes much sense.

Thanks.