Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer won't re-start if I let motherboard light shut off (unplu

• Please log in to reply

roach779

roach779

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I got a weird problem. My computer won't re-start if I let motherboard light shut off (unplugging external plug). The only way to start my computer again, is to wiggle the power supply connector that connects to motherboard. I can shut down and start computer via front panel switch, as long as motherboard light is on.

Things that i have done so far:
replaced bios battery and reset bios
unplugged all extra hardware and left just have basic setup
checked power connector to motherboard...looks good

I don't have an extra power supply to check if its the cause.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. That was some pretty resourcefull troubleshooting that you have done! Wiggling the power supply connector to get it going would seem to me a possible motherboard power supply connector problem. Maybe an intermittent connection? If you don't have power supply related problems once you get it started, I would suspect that first. It does seem clear though that you have isloated the problem to either the motherboard, or the power supply.

roach779

roach779

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
update:
Even though, I was able to get machine running by wiggling power connector, some of hardware was not responding...mouse, keyboard and no monitor signal. But removing 2 the memory stick (1 gig, leaving me with 1 gig total), my computer was able to boot all the way to XP.

Now, my only problem is during command boot up (before Window loads), I get an error "ps\2 mouse not found or there is an ps\2 mouse error" which requires me to press a key to continue booting to XP. I went to bios and tried both option regarding ps\2 mouse, but still get an error.

Is my motherboard ready to die? Is memory problem a motherboard problem, rather than bad memories? I just want to know if I should start shopping around for a new motherboard?

Austin: thanks for the info!

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
You could try a different mouse and see if that helps. You could also test the memory with memtest86.
Get it at http://www.memtest.org/

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
it might be taht 2 gigs was just too much for your PC or you dont have a strong enoguh PSU...
i dont know.. just random quess

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Hi roach779,
I have an idea just a hunch try and update the bios. You said that u reset it via hardware. Playing with the power cable in and out is not good for the board even thou u didn't have a choice.
Lately I found a few "bad" power cables. Try a different one see if helps connect.
good luck...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
personal opinion/take on the issue

if PHYSICAL intervention (i.e. wiggeling a cable) causes it to work again...then it's probably hardware...and...well probably the hardware you're wiggeling...i'd be inclined to suspect the PSU (or at least the connector from the psu to the motherboard)...a failing PSU can cause alot of the symptoms you are presenting...and intermittant power to the motherboard can cause severe issues or even permanant damage (like damaging your PS/2 port)