Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Outlook 2003 after system rebuild.

• Please log in to reply

GrumpyDragon

GrumpyDragon

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi,

I recently had to reinstall Outlook 2003 following a system rebuild. I saved my old outlook.pst and therefore kept all my contacts, calendar and emails.

However, when in the Mail view, and displaying the Navigation pane, all my folders are duplicated. I have a complete structure under 'Outlook' and one under 'Personal Folders'. All saved mails are completely duplicated, and any changes in one structure, such as new mails, folders, deletions, are replicated in the other automatically.

I have an HP jornada synchronised with my PC via activsynch, but I only synchronise contacts and calendar entries, these are not duplicated. Could this be something to do with it?

Hope someone can help.

Grumpy Dragon

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Which is your current or active location? Where is incoming email delivered? Inbox under Outlook or Personal Folders? Which set of folders is your HP synching with?

I have an HP jornada synchronised with my PC via activsynch, but I only synchronise contacts and calendar entries, these are not duplicated. Could this be something to do with it?

To clarify: you do not have Contact and Calendar folders in both places?

These are the possiblities I can think of:

1. You imported your old PST file into Personal folders instead of Outlook.

If this is the case, you can delete Personal Folders and reimport the PST file, choosing not to import duplicates. If you don't have the old PST file any longer, you can export the Personal Folders, and import into Outlook, choosing not to import duplicates.

2. Your new email profile is set up to deliver to Personal Folders instead of Outlook.

To check this, open Outlook and choose Tools menu, Email Accounts, View or Change Existing Accounts, Next.

On the Email Accounts screen, how many email accounts are setup in the upper box?

In the lower part of the screen is a drop-down box called "Deliver new email to the following location". What does that say? If it says Personal Folders, change it to Outlook.

Please post back the resulst, good or bad.

GrumpyDragon

GrumpyDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi LindaGail,

I seem to have sorted it out, thanks to your reply which gave me a few pointers.

I exported, no duplicates, to a new .pst file, then set that as the default file. Using 'data file management' I removed the others (although only one was listed as 'Outlook' - both folder structures disappeared on removing that one), and renamed the new one as 'Outlook'.

All nice and dandy now.

Grumpy Dragon

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Super! :whistling: