Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outsider configured my router

• Please log in to reply

Tomcat71

Tomcat71

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello

Something weird happened today. My network and router wasn't password secured (shame on me)
I surfed the internet Friday night 'till early Saturday morning, no problems.
I was with 2 PC's at the same time online - 1 wireless and 1 wired - time saver for recordings. There was no problem at all, I turned them off and went to bed. A few hours later I turned both PC's on again, but only the wired PC could connect to the internet. I checked the wireless network status and saw that my network was secured and asked for a password.
How can an outsider reconfigure my router without a running PC in my network.
There was no problem, I fixed it by resetting the router and putting my own password in (NOW).

But how is that possible?

Frank

Advertisements

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
If they accessed your wireless they can change anything in the router from because it wasnt passworded. Even with it being passworded they can access it, but they have to hack into if it is.

Edited by DeadEye, 07 January 2007 - 03:36 AM.