Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

administrator error

• Please log in to reply

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hi i am running windows xp professional i have myself and one other user with seperate accounts i have noticed recently that if i go into msconfig and try to make changes it says access denied error you must be logged in as administrator which i am.Any idea of what the problem is or how to fix it ?? I have noticed it does it on certain web based applications.I have no problems installing programs or deleting anything.I would really like to fix this problem

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,
you need to take ownership please read this here - http://support.micro...p;Product=winxp

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
how do i actually do that to msconfig and i cannot see a security tab when i right click on any folder

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
the only reason i can think why msconfig will not allow you to make changes, is that you are not logged in with computer administrator rights ?.

1-Select 'Start
2-Select 'Settings' (in Windows 2000)
3-Select 'Control Panel'
4-Double-click 'Administrative Tools'
5-Double-click 'Computer Management'
6-Select 'Local Users and Groups'
7-In the left hand panel, click 'Users'
8-Right-click on the user account name
9-Select 'Properties' from the drop down list.
10-Select the 'Member of' Tab.
11-Check to see if the account is a member of the 'Administrators' Group. Windows XP users are typically
set up as Administrators on the local system. Windows 2000 users may be members of
the 'Administrators' group. If a user is not a member of the 'Administrators' group, they must login to an
Administrator account to modify this status.
cheers...xxx1

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
i checked all that and it says i am an administrator.I am using win xp pro. The changes are being made in msconfig but this access denied error still comes up but there are some things that i cannot run or do with the same error