Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems with Useradd

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hi all,

I have created a new user on my remote linux CentOS server named "hlds". I used the useradd command. When I made it I did create a password using the parameter -p <password> however I am unable to log in as this user when I ssh into the server. I have to log in as root, then SU into the user. It also has no bash history when I log onto it - I have had this problem and was able to resolve it using the usermod command, but I forgot the parameters and information I put.

I hope somebody here can help me log in - and have a bash history too (when you hit up to get previous commands). If I have missed anything please do ask me for more, and I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks in advance,

SS

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,645 posts
Did you use the encrypted password for the "-p" option?

Try using "passwd hlds" to set the password.

Try logging in using "su - hlds" to see if the history shows up. When you just use "su", it is not quite the same as logging in.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Thats exactly what I'm saying, I'm trying to log in as this user but I cannot. And yes I did use -p.