Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with AOL connection

• Please log in to reply

ArcherJP

ArcherJP

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I just had a run in with a trojan and finally removed the virus from my system (desktop.exe, sysupd.dll, and a few other files were associated with it), but I am now having trouble connecting to AOL. I was having *major* trouble even loading AOL before the virus was removed (it would freeze before the sign on screen could even appear), and now that I've removed and reinstalled AOL, the connection isn't working. AOL itself now works, but when it dials in on its special 800 number to acquire local access numbers, it comes back telling me it was unable to connect to the AOL service and that it might be due to a firewall.

So I turned the firewall off just so I could get the access numbers, but the SAME problem popped up.

I think it might have relied on one of the files that was deleted in getting rid of the virus (a few HKEYs had to be removed, along with a few .dll files), but I can't be sure. I suppose I'm living proof that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Anyone that might have any idea as to how to get AOL 9.0 SE to work, PLEASE :tazz: ;) ;) !!!

I run Windows XP home edition with Office professional. I have spybot, ad-aware, hijackthis! (though I don't have a log with me from it right now), and Norton Anti-virus (unregistered, as it was removed and reinstalled during the run-in with the trojan at one point, and now I can't get online to register.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Email me help if possible.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just out of curiousty, what are you using to connect to Internet with?

WinSock may need to be repaired. See this page :

Fix XP Internet Connectivity

Check and make sure all your adapters are working by checking out Device Manager.

Ron

ArcherJP

ArcherJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I connect with AOL at home. At work I'm on a LAN.

However, I finally gave up and reformatted my hard drive, so now everything works perfectly. Unfortunately, I forgot to back up my fonts and my outlook emails, so I lost those, but I have everything else. :-D

:tazz:

But I'll definately come back here if I have any other problems.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

However, I finally gave up and reformatted my hard drive, so now everything works perfectly.  Unfortunately, I forgot to back up my fonts and my outlook emails, so I lost those, but I have everything else.  :-D

Reformatting will do it everytime. ;) Sorry we didn't get a chance to try the XP Connectivity for XP. I probably hold the world's record for reinstalling/reformatting my HD...especially with Win 98/98SE!

Had a virus which attacked only AOL directories. Put up to 1.5 Mb of 25 Kb files in each directory (and AOL has lots of directories) which slowed me way down. Antivirus programs couldn't remove it, but could identify it. Can't count the number of times I cleaned those AOL directories to have it reinstall all those files again on boot up! Finally tracked it down to an innocuously named file not in AOL's directories whose sole purpose was to install the programs. Eliminating it stopped my problem, but I was close to reformatting HD. Didn't do it because I hate backing up my files to do so. Now I back up regularly.

Glad problem solved. Happy surfing. :tazz:

Ron

ArcherJP

ArcherJP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Reformatting will do it everytime.  :)  Sorry we didn't get a chance to try the XP Connectivity for XP.  I probably hold the world's record for reinstalling/reformatting my HD...especially with Win 98/98SE! 

Had a virus which attacked only AOL directories.  Put up to 1.5 Mb of 25 Kb files in each directory (and AOL has lots of directories) which slowed me way down.  Antivirus programs couldn't remove it, but could identify it.  Can't count the number of times I cleaned those AOL directories to have it reinstall all those files again on boot up!  Finally tracked it down to an innocuously named file not in AOL's directories whose sole purpose was to install the programs.  Eliminating it stopped my problem, but I was close to reformatting HD.  Didn't do it because I hate backing up my files to do so.  Now I back up regularly.

Glad problem solved.  Happy surfing.  ;)

Ron

View Post

I don't know what this virus did to my harddrive, but I think most of my problems stemmed from the fact that I was deleting HKEYS and fiddling around in the regedit. Heh. Serves me right, I guess. :tazz: The good news is that whatever I did, it got rid of the virus. And I didn't do damage to anything else... except AOL.

But now? everything's running wonderfully! :) :) :) I just have to find someone that has the font files I'd downloaded over the course of three years. ;)

And... I'm loving the emoticons on this site. >.> small, but expressive. ^_^

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Easiest way is to Google for free font files. Tried it and got more than I wanted. :tazz:

Happy Googling.

Ron

mjbart

mjbart

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just wanted to add that I tried the link suggested Fix XP Internet Connectivity for a customer that was having a problem with connecting with AOL 8 and 9 dialup and it worked like a champ. Thanks for the suggestion!
:tazz:

Edited by mjbart, 26 April 2005 - 07:06 AM.