Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

Katheryan

Katheryan

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I have a slave hard drive installed in my computer, and I recently brought it to a different computer. When I went to take it from this other computer it was completely unresponsive. Sooo... I brought it back to my other computer and it is still completely unresponsive. Is there anything I can do to possible get my stuff off of the drive... Or is it completely shot? Please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Does the drive show up in explorer? Right click my computer and then click explore. What happens when you click on the plus sign next to the drive? do you get a error message? If you do get a error message there is probably a hardware problem with the drive. If you do not get a error message, can you open the drive up and see files and folders there? Tell us what happens to continue on.

SRX660

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The drive doesn't even show up in My Computer.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are running Windows XP, look in the disk management to see if you can see the drive there.

Start>Control Panel>Performance and maintenance> administrative tools>Computer management( double click this one)> click on disk management.

If you can see it there you may be able to use a program like PC Inspector to try recovering the files. If the HD is damaged then all data will be lost.

http://www.pcinspect.../uk/welcome.htm or use this software

http://www.smartpcto...ery/index1.html

Both of the above software's did locate most of the data i needed on a HD that had a bad partition, But they both did not recover everything i wanted. Acronis below saved much more info than either of the above.

I have used this software below with good results for recovery but you will have to decide if the cost is worth it.

http://www.acronis.c...s/diskdirector/

Beyond trying a recovery all you can do is repartition the drive to see if you can use it. If you are using Win 98 theres not much out there to help except the Acronis software.

SRX660

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

hope it's something as simple a faulty cable maybe ?.

cheers...xxx1

Katheryan

Katheryan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well, I tried to work it on two computers and no luck, so I am assuming it's the drive. But, my boyfriend gave me some insight on what he saw from it. When the power gets plugged into the Hard Drive and the computer is turned on, the hard drive doesn't even start-up. We are thinking that maybe the power on the hard drive blew? I don't know if it's even possible or if it can be fixed, but it's our idea...?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, now is the good time for a lecture about backing up any data you really want to save onto CD's, or DVD's.
( that was the lecture)

Just for your information hard drives are not taken apart and fixed. They are thrown out and replaced by a new drive. There are no parts that can be bought to repair a harddrive. They either work and are used or don't work and thrown out with the garbage. I personally have tried repairing them and have a couple sets of disks laying around. ( i love the mirror quality shiny black coating on them) This is a lost cause to try fixing them.

SRX660