Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

aol 9.0 shuts down windows xp

• Please log in to reply

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Pip
  • 7 posts
when i am on the internet aol 9.0 i have no problem until i click sign off then my whole computer shuts down. i have tried restore to previous point, i have tried to install a different version of aol no help still occurs......
Please help this is very aggravating!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Start > Run, type

eventvwr.msc

Look under Applications and System for the date and time when this shut down occurs. Look for RED Xs, report back

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There are alot of them. This as been ongoing for sometime now.
I am not sure what info you want me to report back

under applications serveral dates one is 3/31/05 12:24:21 source (esent) source is the same on all times

under system serveral
errors different dates , times sources says (w32time) (ipnathlp)

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
MOre info: It just happened again, I looked to see if an error log occured or anything and there were no x errors listed for it under todays date

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
aol tech support? LOL Dont think it will help but maybe there is a patch of some sort.

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have called them, no help there as usual

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
LOT OF WORK... BEWARE.

Try to uninstall AOL.
start - run - REGEDIT( warring working in the regeristry can relly mess your computer so just be careful)
once in regedit edit -search
Type in AOL
Delete EVERYTHING that has AOL on it.
go to program files and rename your AOL folder ( as not to lose anything in the folder)
Reinstall AOl and see what happens.

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hate to be a pain, but i been there done that , all the way from aol7.0 to aol 9.0 and each time i do the regedit...
then aol seems to work for a few days then right back to square one again....
.i really dont want to change from aol, since it is easy to use with my work n all.. i work from home..

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
WEll then you really not going to like my next idea.... Reformat. I'm sorry but i really dont mess with AOL that much...One reason is becasue it takes over your computer. If i think of anything else i will let you know. Again Sorry.

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Not a problem , I figured i might have to at the end.. I have been trying other internet services but havent come across any i like yet... i am online roughly 10 hours a day sometimes even longer working and need a reliable one. Any suggestions???

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
is cable or dsl avaiable in your area?

antiqwidow

antiqwidow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
unfortunately not