Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ME won't recognize DVD or CD drives.

• Please log in to reply

KM1140

KM1140

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A Dell desktop running ME won't recognize the DVD or CD drive. Ran Mcaffee virus scan...nothing. Also, when I try to defrag the PC, it gets to about 4% then goes back to 1% and repeats. It did that for about 18 hours. I was thinking about getting a Mac. One last thing. I can't find any virus scan programs for ME. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Keith

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you have the 40 wire IDE cable make sure one drive is set to master and the other to slave. If you have the 80 wire cable set them both to cable select. Optical drives should be on the same cable and not with hard drives. Run defrag in safe mode to minimize the number of running processes, which is what causes it to restart. Also you can run scandisk in safe mode. While your doing diagnostics it's a good idea to download the drive makers diagnostic floppy and run it on the drive.

Hope that helps.

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
[b]just went throu this with my computer..if u have to many media players programs theres a confict between programs..especailly nero and windows media player..(READ Nero fineprint)..pick one or 2 that U use the most ..get rid of the rest..
do what TYGER wrote for defrag....
then click start programs accesorys then system info..then click tools..system config utility.. startup tab..then check to see whats there..uncheck the programs u don't want starting ext..then click cleanup button
THEN use the windows ME start up disk..do a SCANREG/RESTORE

one question thou..if u're running windows ME what speed processor is in this dell and how much memory do U have..your dvd player might not work with that system..

megabite

megabite

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts
ME likes to do Defrag in Safemode......

Do the drives show up in Device Manager?