Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dimension 8400 CPU fan

• Please log in to reply

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
O.K.. I'm back. And would you believe that the p/s from my personal system works great in the Dell system. Yup!! It took care of the problem. The Dell runs perfect with a good p/s. I will purchase a new unit for the Dell and this case will be closed.
Needless to say, I am extremely elated. I didn't think that the p/s would help. Now, I can get myself taken care of Tuesday with no loose ends in terms of 'puters. I doubt if I'll get involved again for a while - I gotta learn how to walk and all that stuff again. But I will definately visit 'chat' off and on as I recover just to say 'Hey' and keep up with everybody and everything.
Thank You all, especially wannabe1 and CCMike, for your help and advice. You'll never know how much it is appreciated.
Gotta go for now. Thanks Again.

I'm sure Kat will keep you up to date on my amputation - whether you want to know or not. She's my Sweetie in case you didn't know.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Outstanding! What a weird problem.

Helping you is sometimes more like continuing education than assistance... :blink:

You take care of yourself, poppyal, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers as you face this new hurdle in your life. I'll keep in touch with Kat to see how you are doing and, perhaps, you'd accept a call from me when you're feeling a little better?

As always, the pleasure has been mine. :whistling:

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Thank You! A call from you would be most welcome.

You know, Kat was correct when she said that GeeksToGo is an awesome site full of awesome people. That is probably one of the most profound statements that she has ever made. All of you should be extremely proud of yourselves and what you do for people like myself.

What a crew you all are!!!!!!!

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
What you said means a lot to me, Dad. Now you understand why this place is so important to me, and why I love it so much!

Come back to chat! we're all there :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to you poppyal!

Hope you get better soon!

I do love spending my time here as well even though I am only a Tech In Training.. But I am learning alot here and I spend a lot of my free time enjoying helping others and helping myself as well.

Edited by ultimateslacker2, 11 January 2007 - 10:03 PM.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
I think I spoke too soon. I purchased a new p/s and installed same. This new p/s has an on/off switch on it and when I mount the unit the switch gets in the way and won't allow the unit to work. Is possible to open the p/s and tie the wires together (bypass the switch) and then remove the switch so that it will not be in the way and causing problems? I am sure that I can do that unless there is some reason not to.
Please advise me one more time - and Thanks Again.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is it the cutout on the case that interfers with the switch? It would be better to modify the case a little than to mess with the wiring in the PSU.

poppyal

poppyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
Hi, wannabe1. Thanks for the reply, but since I ws running out of time I went ahead and disconnected the switch by cutting the two wires, soldered the two wires together and then removed the switch from the p/s. Once again I am going to say that everything works fine at this point. I know I took a chance, but I was short on time, I felt that doing what I did was not a problem (I used to install electric switches with locking devices in elrctronic organs), and, as you can imagine, I was ready to send the unit to Dell with an explosive device attached.
Anyway, the unit is working fine now.
Thanks again for your advice/assistance/help/support/etc.
I'll try to stop into 'chat' another time ot two before the big day arrives.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

My thoughts and prayers go out to you poppyal!

Hope you get better soon!

I just noticed this post. Thank you SO much for that message. :blink: My Dad's amputation is tomorrow morning, and he's at the hospital already. I know he sincerely appreciates all the well-wishes he's received from this site.

:whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I hope all goes well. You or him, send me a PM to tell me how everything goes! :whistling:

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
He's doing well. The amputation was today, and everything went smoothly. He was in pain afterwards, of course...but in VERY good spirits! :blink: He was joking with the nurse, and my mom and I a bit. I'm a bit worse for the wear, but all's good now that my Dad is ok. He's got a bit of a road ahead of him in healing, but the worst part is now over.

Thanks SO much for asking :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Thats great! Thanks for letting me know.. keep me posted on the progress on down the road! :whistling: