Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

system resources low

• Please log in to reply

ioanapiago

ioanapiago

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi anyone, :tazz: After doubling my ram from 128 to 256 when I right click on My Computer and properties, performance it shows system resources of only 33% free. It has recognised the new 128 extra ram but the resources free has not changed and I am getting problems scanning pages telling me I am short of memory. What can I do to solve problem? thanks

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The first part I wouldn't worry about on its face. Adding ram actually will require more system resources, as a rule, but 33 percent free is a little much.

More interesting is the low system memory (at the moment).

First, Do you have a fixed swap file?

Click on the virtual memory settings on the same page. If the size is fixed, change it to let windows handle it and reboot.

Also on that perofrmance tab...anything about real mode drivers?

Finally, what do you have running at system startup? A hijackthis log would be appropriate, even though this is not a malware issue.

ioanapiago

ioanapiago

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply. As I speak the system resources is down to 24%. To answer your question on swap file, I did create a new swap file on the new D drive I installed about a month ago (I think I did, but I don't know how to check) and was also advised by someone to change the virtual memory settings to be set by me and to set the minimum at 512 and maximum on 2048 which it is at present. The Hard disk Free on C drive is stated at 11258mb. I did change the settings to let windows manage but it made no difference, this is why it was changed to the above settings. There is nothing in the performance tab about real mode drivers. Regarding the last question, I have a lot of things running on startup - Task Scheduler, Canon Scan Utility, Exif launcher, Epson Card monitor ON, Quicklink, PageKeeper Jobs, Hotsync, Norton Internet Security 2005 are the ones shown on bottom right hand side of screen. I have also been having Ccapp (not responding) messages lately and the computer freezes. It has not happenned often but usually does on startup. The fixed swap file I will have to check if you can tell me how as I am not into the guts of the computer much. My computer originally had 20Gb hard drive but I added 200 Gb about a month ago on D drive. thanks regards ioanapiago