Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LNK Files

• Please log in to reply

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
When I restart w/the CD in or without the CD in I get several error msgs about Windows cannot open this file... use web or select program from list... then I press cancel for them and nothing else happens....

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...it sounds like you need to set the cd-rom to first boot device in BIOS Setup. Do you know how to enter BIOS on your machine?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Nope....I know how to boot in ssfe mode

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What kind of computer is this, Tracy? Give me the make and model number and I'll see if I can help you get things set up to boot to the cd.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop Computer

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Restart the machine and start tapping the F2 key as it boots. That should get you to the System Setup screen. Once there. press the Page Down key one time. Look in the left pane for "Boot Sequence:" This needs to have CD-ROM FIRST listed beside it. If that's not what you see, change it by pessing the right or left arrow keys until you see "CD-ROM FIRST" listed.

Save the settings by pressing Esc.

Then try to boot to the cd...you should be prompted to "Press any key to boot to cd" at the top of the screen...press a key.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
OK I'm at the point where Boot Sequence is in the left panel .... the right panel Has the Boot Sequence Menu .....
Boot Sequence
This list specifies the order that the BIOS searches devices when trying to find an operating system. Only devices that are preceeded by a number ar bootable (the SPACE key controls whether a particular device is bootable)
1. is Diskette Drive
2. Internal DVD
3. USB Storage Device
4. CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
Cardbus NIC
Onboard NIC

The arrow keys do NOT rearrange the order of these 4 selections..The left arrow key does nothing the right arrow key highlights the "System" Menu which boot sequence is under System....?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I sure wish they'd standardize BIOS settings. :whistling:

The problem is there. The cd-rom needs to be moved to the #1 position with the HDD at #2. Select the cd-rom drive (which appears to be #4 unless you have an external device connected) and press the U key to move it up in the list to #1.

Then try to boot to the cd.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm not sure how to select #4. I hit the #4 on the keyboard and nothing happened. The arrow keys only move in the left panel menu.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Never mind... figured it out... I had to hit the enter Key 1st.... now i'm rearranging

Advertisements

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
How do I go about booting to the cd w/this screen up.. Do I get out of it somehow?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have the order rearranged w/ CD #1 and Hdd #2

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And I've got dinner out of the way... :whistling:

Start the machine with the cd in the drive and see if you are prompted to boot from it.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
rebooted.... said press any key to boot from CD.....Yay!!! Setup is loading files

Remeber this CD goes w/my home computer.....

OK
Now the screen says
Welcome to setup
This portion prepares Micorsoft Windows to run on your computer
To set up Windows XP now press enter
To repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console, press R
To quit setup withoug installing Windows XP press F3

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Now we're cookin' with gas! :whistling:

Do you have the product key for the machine we're fixing? On a laptop, it should be on the bottom of the machine on a sticker. (5 groups of 5...xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)