Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LNK Files

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...

Let's do a parallel install and get the data off the corrupt install. This will take a bit...would you like to continue tomorrow or are you ok to keep going. I'll give you a link to a guide so you can see what needs to be done.

I'll want to walk you through it a screen at a time to get it right, but we can use the guide as reference and it will go a little quicker.

Part 1 is pretty straight forward. In part 2, there are some adjustments to be made to get a second, parallel install.

Your call.

Advertisements

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Tomorrow will be better.....
Thanks so much for all of the help....will sign on again sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Good Night =)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Works for me... :whistling:

See you then.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
I'm ready to continue to try to fix this thing, if you are..... let me know.

Thanks,
Tracy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's do it to it.

Boot to the cd as you did before.

Each of the following lines indicate a step on a separate screen.

At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter

Accept the License Agreement, press F8

Select the installed operating system or partition in the box that starts with C:\, press Esc

Select the root partition (C: Partition1 [NTFS]) and press Enter to set Windows up on that partition

To continue setup using that partition, press C

You will now see formatting options...select the last option: Leave the current file system intact (no changes) and press Enter

To use a different folder, press Esc

Type a 0 (zero) so that the directory will be named WINDOWS0 and press Enter

Setup should begin installing Windows to the new directory. Let it install and get to the desktop. It may behave a bit funny until we get some drivers installed, but it should run well enough to work with it. Once the install is completed, let me know and we'll get the data off the old install.

I'll be right here if you have a question or run into a problem. :whistling:

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I'm on Select the root partition part.... screen has the following selections

-: Partition1 [FAT]
C: Partition2 [NTFS] This one is Partition 2 not 1 is this OK to select?
E: Parition3 [FAT32}

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it starts with C:

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Looks like the install is complete..... I did get one msg that said can find file Windows\System32/MSJAVX86.exe

I'm at the desktop.... it is empty..... besides the start menu and the recycle bin

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Cool... :whistling:

It's a whole new ballgame now.

Open My Computer (Start > My Computer) and double click on "Local Disk C:". Double click on "Documents and Settings" and see if there is a folder in there with your daughter's username...if there is, open the folder.

Can you see her data?

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yes I can!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Right click on one of her documents and see if you can copy it and paste it to another location such as the My Documents folder in the new installation.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It copied.... it was a word file....opened as word pad because there is no word program?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yup...this is a new Windows installation so any programs that were installed on the old install will have to be reinstalled. If you don't have MSWord on disk, might I suggest Open Office? It will open and even create MSWord documents, spreadsheets, etc...and is absolutely free.

If the documents will copy across that easily, we got a free ride. Usually you have to take ownership of the files to recover them.

Do not copy and executables (porgrams) across. We have no idea what it was that caused the association problem on the old install...and I have never had that problem be as bad as this. I've always been able to claw my way in to a registry editor to straighten things out. Not this time, though. :whistling:

The next task is your's. Get the data moved to the new install, or at least out of the old user account folder. When you have finished with that, we'll remove the old windows folder. We also still have to look at device drivers and I'm not so sure we can trust those in the old driver folder...we may end up having to download a few of those.

Now, though, let's edit the boot.ini file real quick so you're not asked which system you want to boot to every time you start the machine. Open Control Panel and double click on the "System" icon (please tell me it opens :blink: ). In the window that opens, click on the "Advanced" tab. In the "Startup and Recovery" section, click on the "Settings" button. In the next window that opens, click on the "Edit" button. A notepad window will open (boot.ini)...copy the contents of that window and paste it here for me.

tracyhebert

tracyhebert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
It looks like I've lost the internet .... I have to set up a new one to get online w/her laptop. I'm on my home based computer....The laptop doesn't even appear to have a CD writing program on it right now. It has very little on it that I can use. I can type what the boot.ini says:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk9)0partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk9)0partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition /noexecute=optin/fastdetect

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Remove the line of text in red below. Click "File" on the toolbar and choose "Save".

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS0
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk9)0partition(2)\WINDOWS0="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk9)0partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition /noexecute=optin/fastdetect

Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. In the list of devices, do you see any yellow ? or ! displayed?