Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't load... boot screen starts

• Please log in to reply

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks so much, it's making getting work done really difficult - I really appreciate all your help

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Good news...the Malware team says it's ok to continue here. There are some bits and pieces in the log, but nothing that we can't work around.

Please download, install, and run WinAudit on the machine. Save the log it generates as either a webpage (html) or in PDF (Adobe). Attach the log to an e-mail to me (I'll PM you with the address) and I'll see what we can safely stop from running when the machine starts up.

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok, i got the message before i saw the post, so you can ignore that question... I'll run winaudit in a minute here, I'm in the middle of some dreamweaver stuff at the moment. I feel i should also tell you that my scheduled norton scans aren't running and the media on my computer is all blotchy. Like if I try to use itunes of windows media player, or even the little windows noises (like when outlook gets a new message) are scratchy. Is that product of my computer running really slow? So yea, hopefully we can fix that too, and thanks again, I'll e-mail you asap.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see what freeing up some system resources does... :whistling:

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Alright, the report should be off to you

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I haven't received the report... :whistling:

Maybe zip it before you attach it...some e-mail clients won't send a file that size unless it's zipped.

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
it shouldn't be too bad, its coming from my gmail account to yours.... I'll try again

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Got it that time...give me a bit to look it over. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". The MS Configuration Utility will open. Click on the "Startup" tab. In the list, remove the tick from all of the following:
  • IgfxTray
  • Persistence
  • ICO.EXE
  • TVTLInstTool.exe...if you do not use the tv tuner
  • VAIO Update 2
  • ISUSPM Startup
  • NvCplDaemon
  • Alcmtr
  • qttask.exe
  • ViewMgr
  • TkBellExe
  • MSMSGS...if you do not use Windows Messenger
  • SpybotSD TeaTimer...If it were me, I'd uninstall this one completely. Spybot S&D is a good app, but tea timer can be quite problematic at times.
Apply the change and reboot. Upon restarting, you will receive a Selective Startup dialog window...this is normal. Tick the checkbox to not show it again and click "Ok".

Does this make the machine a little less sluggish?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Interestingly enough...I just now received the first email you sent. :whistling:

Advertisements

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Random... anyway, same symptoms... its taking like 10-15 minutes form the point the machine shuts down just to show the desktop, then at least another 20 for all the processes to get going and running... and the computer is still running slow

any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Generate another WinAudit report so I can have you look at something. In the report's left pane, expand (click +) "Error Logs", then click on "System Errors". Look in the right pane. See all those Bad Block errors on Hard Disk 0? That's an indication of a drive that's going bad. Now would be a good time to save important files to removable media. That is probably the whole problem here...the machine is having trouble reading the HDD.

shadeymonk

shadeymonk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
hm... irritating... well thanks a lot for all your effort and i'll get the HDD fixed

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Glad I could assist... :whistling:

Sorry the results weren't better.