Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply

ParaplegicSquirrel

ParaplegicSquirrel

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area, but starting Saturday morning, my computer started hanging on startup. It does this right as I start my system up. All fans, cpu, and lights come on, but just hangs without anything coming up on the screen. There are a few times when it will start. I'm running an AMD64 3700+ on a Gigabyte GA-k8u-939 mobo with 2 gigs of RAM, Zalman CPU fan, Sony 710a, Samsung SH-S182M, Samsung SD-616, Compusa cd-rw, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS, XFX Geforce 6600GT, USB/Firewire card, Nexus fan controller, Airlink 10/100/1000 ethernet card, Logitech Itouch keyboard and MX1000, Belkin 7 port usb hub, Dell A940 printer, Ultra X-Connect 500w and a Hanns-G JW199D 19 inch widescreen monitor.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Did you change anything recently?

I had a similar problem with a system when I added a power adapter to my USB hub. If I disconnected the power to the hub, there was no longer a startup problem.

ParaplegicSquirrel

ParaplegicSquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I did add the network card, but that was around Tuesday. No problems after I did that. Tried pulling it and reformatting hard drives. Still has same problem.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You could try removing items and see what is causing the problem, such as the USB hub and anything on the firewire. Also make sure that there are no CD in any of the drives, just in case.

ParaplegicSquirrel

ParaplegicSquirrel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

You could try removing items and see what is causing the problem, such as the USB hub and anything on the firewire. Also make sure that there are no CD in any of the drives, just in case.

I tried this today and had no luck. Same problem. I'm starting to wonder if my case is causing a short, but I doubt it.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

have you changed any setting in the bios ?, what about loose cables connectors etc.

cheers...xxx1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I have heard of problems with cases, which can be determined by taking the motherboard and power supply out and carefully running it outside the case.

There might be a problem with something in the system and that can be difficult to find. Reducing the system to the minimum is a good first step.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, post any items in your reply that have a yellow ? or ! next to them.

cheers...xxx1

not an option at the moment is it........

Edited by xxx1, 08 January 2007 - 11:33 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You may have a power problem. You might try testing the power supply and/or try using another power suppy, if possible.