Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP PRO Install

• Please log in to reply

dmhtwice

dmhtwice

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a bootable cd of XP Pro, but cant get it to boot on my comp. Changed the bios to boot from cd. Is there a command prompt to get it boot? P-3 1 Gig with 640mb of pc133 running 98se. Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
boot up like normal in windows 98. goto start run lower left of screen. browse to find the setup.exe file on the cd.highlight the file and open it from within the run box. and it should start the windows setup for u.

dmhtwice

dmhtwice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Tried that. Doesnt give me the option to format drive to ntfs.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
There's a little utility called SmartBootManager which can be imaged to a floppy with rawritewin.exe and used to boot from any drive. Some systems just will not boot from the CD, such as the IBM 300GL.

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
but it did start the setup program?
are you trying a upgrade or new installation ? what selections are you making (order)?

Demetri

Demetri

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
try the custom upgrade and it should allow you to change the file system to ntfs.