Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Partition Help--Please,Please

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Could the problem be that "K" is a Extended partition as it has lite blue as a frame around it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yep...that's probably it.

You don't want the configuration shown in the last image, do you? You'll end up with one large partition. Back out of that and we'll make the extended partition a primary.

Select the K: partition, then click on "Partition" on the toolbar, point to "Modify", and choose "Make Primary". Does this change the partition type?

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Wannabe, I think this is it!!!!!! I did what you said and then merged "D" with "K" and before I proceed I wanted to check with you. It looks like its all set to go. Do I now finish this up? Finally D has merged with K and do you want me to click next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do It!!! :whistling:

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Wannabe, I think this is it!!!!!! I did what you said and then merged "D" with "K" and before I proceed I wanted to check with you. It looks like its all set to go. Do I now finish this up? Finally D has merged with K and do you want me to click next?

Edited by Onestep, 09 January 2007 - 10:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Next please....... :whistling:

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Wannabe,
Mission accomplised. I am now ready to install "Acronis True Image 10.0"

Any special instructions or is it pretty easy?

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Wannabe, I am installing True Image 10 now. It ask to pick the best setup to suit my needs - Typical, Custom, or Complete. Which one should I pick for doing a image of my computer (like Norton Ghost)? Many thanks my good friend.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The typical install will fully install the program and all it's features, so that's the one you want. I haven't used Acronis 10 much as I run on Vista, which will make it's own backup image. The other versions of Acronis I have used have been very easy to use.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Is there another version you would reccomend for me that you think is easy enought for this dummy?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Go ahead and give version 10 a try. Software developers rarely make later versions more complicated than earlier ones.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Wannabe, I just did a backup with True Image 10 and I have a question please. I backed up my C Drive ( like doing a ghost) and named the file 1_09_7. The problem is that now I want to send it back as a recovery file to test to make sure it works. BUT, the problem is that it says "No document properties are available for this file".

Does that mean I lost my documents??
I haven't done nothing yet and will wait to hear from you and see if you want me to redo it and send it another way. Help!!!

Many thanks Wannabe

PS - Here is a pic of what I sent to my D drive and what I was going to send back just to test this out.

Edited by Onestep, 09 January 2007 - 10:20 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I'm downloading the application so I can see how this version differs from older versions. Give ma a bit to get it installed and run and I'll get back to you. :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Okie dokie, Onestep.

When you did the first backup, did you have Acronis set up a secure zone to back up to? If you did, you can verify the backup is good using the Acronis Wizards. It's a good idea to do it this way for a couple of reasons.

1: The operating system doesn't have access to this area. This makes it difficult for you to verify the backup file as you must use the Acronis program. BUT...because the operating system does not have direct access to the files, they are safe from anything that may cause a corruption of the file.

2: Acronis sets up a boot time access for restoring the machine. If your machine goes down, you can restore to the latest backup by pressing F11 during the boot sequence and the machine will be restored to the most recent image.

Suggestion: Delete the backup file you saved and create a new one in the secure zone. Just follow the Wizard to do this. You will be given the opportunity to set the size of this zone as you create it. I set mint to just under 10GB.

Note: I'm playing with the new Paragon Drive Image software and will let you know what I think of that once I get it figured out. :whistling:

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Hi Wannabe,
I printed out your instructions and many thanks. Now, I am a little tiny bit confused but I do see day light.
(1) I found the wizard I think you are thinking about I Think. I assume that is the wizard under "Manage Backup Locations"? I went there and before I start I just want to make sure I am right. Do I click on "Manage Acronis Secure Zone" or do I click on "Create Backup Zone"?
(2) I want to use my "D" drive for nothing but a safe place to keep very important stuff like Back-Up's and maybe 2 or 3 folders of important documents. Thats the way I had my old computer set.
So with this in mind can I make my WHOLE "D" drive as a "Secure Zone" or "Backup Location" and still add a few odds and ends to it beside my Back-up?
(3) Whats the difference between a Secure Back up zone & A Back-Up Location? Want a Back-Up Location be alright?
(4) Also you said Acronis sets up a "Boot Time access for restoring the machine? Does that mean it backs up everynight at a certern time?
I told you, you are dealing with a dummy but wants to learn.

Wannabe, you just don't know how much I appreciate your help. You are making all this possinble and I deeply thank you.

I will wait til I hear from you before doing anything and apolize for all the questions.