Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition Help--Please,Please

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You'll want to Create Backup Zone.

When you create the safe zone, you will be able to set the size. Set it to at least 10GB. It will create a hidden partition that size on the D: drive...the rest of the space on D: will be yours to use as you please.

A secure back up zone is the hidden partition I mentioned above. This area is accessible only by the Acronis software. A backup location is what you had earlier. You can save backup images there, but they will still only be able to be used by the Acronis software. You're better off just using the hidden partition.

You can schedule Acronis to do an incremental back up as often as you'd like. The software has a task scheduler in it for just that purpose. An incremental backup will add just the new changes to an existing backup image which saves space on the drive.

The boot time access simply means that if you get up one morning and Windows won't start, pressing F11 during the boot cycle will load the backup image of the HDD and get you going again.

You are more than welcome for the help, Onestep. This is a learning experience for all of us and questions are a necessary part of the learning process...no need to apologize for asking them.

Advertisements

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Wannabe,
I used to have a Norton Ghost on my old computer and the image size always ran about 22 - 25 GB, so shouldn't I make my Safe Zone about 25 GB instead of 10MB?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
An Arconis image runs a little over 6GB, but you can set the size to anything you want. Plus, you can adjust the size of that partition anytime you wish with the software.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Ok, I just set it at 25 GB and then that will give me 10 GB to play with. I can resize it smaller like you said. So how does this sound?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Perfect! :whistling:

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Do I really need to activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager?
Also scheduling a incremental back up I don't think I will need cause I usually try out programs sometimes for a week or so until I get it just right then I do a back up once I have it the way I want it. So can I pick something other than incremental backup? There again, just asking as I don't know but I am learning and printing out your instructions. I can already tell I am going to love this program, its just getting set up and after using a few times I will be able to sit back and really enjoy the scenery...LOL

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You do not have to activate the startup recovery manager unless you wish to. Looks like you can choose any flavor backup you want and schedule it anytime you want. Play around with it a bit. I'm finding many new features, so the program has changed significantly from the versions I've used. I can't wait to play with the new Paragon Drive Copy...I really like their software.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Help, I am confused. I now tryingto do a back up now. I just don't understand this part. I am wanting to make a image of my C drive with all the programs.
Now, Do I leave Folder as named in the pic? Shouldn't it be D:\ instead of C?

Also, do I leave the "Files of Type: Backup Archives or changethat to "All Files"?

I am so sorry Wannabe but I am trying so hard here. I just want a backup image like ghost. But I am going to get this yet, thanks to you.
I will wait for your reply

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Backup_Archive_Location.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Close out that window and let's start again.

On the main Acronis window, click on the "Backup" icon under "Pick a Task". Click "Next" and put a tick in the button next to "My Computer". Click "Next"...select "Disk 1" and select the "C: partition". Click "Next" then click "Next".

Advertisements

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Ok, before I give it a shot how does it look? Looks big to me instead of 23 MB, but I am trying. I just want a image of my C drive and programs I have installed. So should I do it or does something look wrong?clip.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
YES!!!!!!!

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
ok, I am starting again, just shall your message.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
It didn't work. It stopped half way through.error.jpg error.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
What does it show in the log?