Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Partition Help--Please,Please

• Please log in to reply

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Here's the log file. I just don't know what to do now. It said I only had 11GB of space, so the hidden space is not showing up?error2.jpg

Advertisements

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Here's my D Drive (My extra free space. I have 25 GB of Hidden space for my Back Up and I think that might be the problem. The back up ain't going to the Hidden allocated space, don't you think?DDrive.jpg

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
My D rive is only showing 11 GB in size. How do I find the 25 GB of "Hidden" space on the D Drive?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let me play with the paragon software...you might like it better.

It looks to me like it was trying to work, but sees the partition as full for some reason. I can't tell if it actually completed one backup, or not by looking at the log.

See if you can recreate the backup area. Open the Help File from the toolbar...it appears to be very helpful and having that right in front of you might help you see where it's going wrong. I suspect it's a single wrong click somewhere.

Your missing space will show in the Acronis software, but nowhere else...it's hidden.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Look what I just found? Does this help?wow.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I would say give it another shot, but walk through it with the help file as your guide. The section on Backups looks very complete...see if that helps.

The Acronis partition is sitting there waiting for you to put something into it. It's just got to be something simple we're missing.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
You reckon we ought to delete the 25GB of Hidden space and start over tomorrow OR instead of backing up the image on the D drive I need to find the path to the acronis hidden space? I am probably all wrong, just thinking out loud.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Wannabe, what if I backed up an image of my computer to the Acronis Secure Zone?wow2.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That's what you need to do....give it a shot.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
But its going to be on my C Drive right?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It should go to the hidden partition...that's what you want. Don't change anything, just save a backup using the default settings.

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Wannabe, I finished the back up and here are 2 clips. It completed A-OK. The only problem is that I had 16.6 GB showing on my C harddrice and it only downloaded 12.19GB? Am I missing something?wow3.jpg wow4.jpg

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry for the delay, I got called away for a bit.

An image file contains some compressed files that extract when the image is run. It's normal for the space that a backup requires is less that it would occupy when installed.

Looks like you got a good image...nice job. :whistling:

Onestep

Onestep

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
Hi Wannabe,
Well, I think we can finally close this mission as you have lead me step by step through the process of getting set up with a Partition and with True Image and at this point I think its all going great thanks to you.
Last night I did the backup and one thing I learned is that I have to check BOTH boxes "C" & "D" cause i put 3 folders in "D" and when I went to do a trial Restore the 3 folders weren't in "D". But I remember it asking me at the time of backup to check the boxes I wanted to backup and I just checked "C". But C & D were both available for check marks. But as I am typing this I am thinking that if I would have also checked "D" would'nt contents of that have gone into the Secure Zone along with "C"?
Maybe I can just do a backup of just D as well. I will play around with it today.

VERY IMPORTANT --> Now when I go to do another Back-up of "C" to the Secure Zone, will the new backup OVERWRITE the old backup OR is it like Norton, and you have to Delete the old Ghost then put the New one in?

I want to thank you so much for your time, knowledge, and kindness in helping me. I deeply appreciate so very much.

I will wait to hear from you on the above question.
Many thanks
Onestep

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Here's one of the nice things about Acronis...Incremental Backups.

How it works. Say you do a full backup on Monday. On Tuesday you have a bunch of data that has changed, but no major changes have been made. No programs installed or removed, no new hardware installed, just some documents and photos were added or changed. You don't need another full backup as the actual computer environment hasn't changed.

An incremental back up will only backup the data that has changed since Monday and add it to the full backup, thus saving time and space on the drive. You can schedule an incremental backup as often as you like, but for a normal user, once a day is sufficient.

Should you make a major change to the machine, delete the current backup information, then do a complete backup and continue on with the incremental backups until you make another major change. With only the one image on the hidden partition, you'll have a much better chance at a clean recovery should the machine develop a problem on down the road.

You are most welcome for the assistance, Onestep. :whistling: