Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get new monitor to work with computer

• Please log in to reply

breatheheavy

breatheheavy

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey there. I bought a 20.1 inch LCD flat screen monitor for my computer, as well as an upgraded video card so it will work. The computer says it can go up to 1400x1050px, but there is no option for that in the display settings, and the fonts all look blurry, as well as the icons etc...

What do I do to make it actually look good? Thanks for your time.

I have windows XP by the way.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried lower settings? 1024x768 @ 16bit? Did you check the monitor's website to see what thy recommend in the way of settings?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

1-Open Display in Control Panel.

2-On the Settings tab, under Screen resolution, drag the slider, and then click Apply.

3-When prompted to apply the settings, click OK. Your screen will turn black for a moment.

4-Once your screen resolution changes, you have 15 seconds to confirm the change. Click Yes to confirm

the change; click No or do nothing to revert to your previous setting.

cheers...xx1

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
to clarify a little LCD's have a "native" resolution that is the resolution that they look best at. anything else and it is emulating and therfore not going ot look as good. So as Acklan said you should go to the companies website and find the native resolution or if you got a manual check there...

--edit--

Also there are really two things that determine what resolutions you can set your computer to... the video card and the monitor... both have to be able to do a certain resolution for you to use that resolution.... ( anther thing is having the proper drivers for each so windows knows what resolutions it can do.. )

Edited by shard92, 10 January 2007 - 11:36 AM.