Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless connection lost

• Please log in to reply

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok so one day our wireless connections stopped. On top of that I couldn't connect hardline but my roommate could. Then I called comcast and got my hardline working and his isn't working now. So I was able to see the router before and I just couldn't access the internet. So I reset the security and now I can't connect to the router period. So there are several problems.

1. We lost the CD, so with that said, how do I regain access to our router?

2. Then the next step is to get the wireless to work again.

Now I did have the correct WEP password for us. I didn't have our MAC addresses on there cause we are in an apartment complex so I just used the WEP AND there are several other secured wireless spots so it's not that big a deal. Sorry if I'm forgetting something I'm currently on muscle relaxers and pain killers so I might sound a bit out of it. I believe I covered everything... oh yes the wireless cards for both our machines are working. I've used mine at the University and it worked flawless (as usual). OH one last thing I tried to run a line from the router to my machine and it didn't work.

So CURRENTLY we have to jack in directly from modem.

Equipment, Linksys WRT54G (I believe G), I have a wireless D-Link DWL-G630 card, roommates is built in don't know what it is, and we are both using XP.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
To gain access to a Linksys router, the IP address you enter into your browser is 192.168.1.1 the default user\password is admin\admin.
Check and see if you turn your wireless off when you reset your router.

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
The problem I'm having now is that my wireless card sees the router but there says it's got a password on it and I don't know what the password is to login to gain access to atleast the net. The wireless icon pops up on my taskbar but with a red x and no connection. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Type 192.168.1.1 on a pc that connects to the internet via hardwire and look at the wireless security and retrieve the key.

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Type 192.168.1.1 on a pc that connects to the internet via hardwire and look at the wireless security and retrieve the key.

See I think you guys are saying that it's coming hardlined from the router it's not. I'm connected straight to the modem.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

Ok so one day our wireless connections stopped. On top of that I couldn't connect hardline but my roommate could. Then I called comcast and got my hardline working and his isn't working now. So I was able to see the router before and I just couldn't access the internet. So I reset the security and now I can't connect to the router period. So there are several problems.

1. We lost the CD, so with that said, how do I regain access to our router?

2. Then the next step is to get the wireless to work again.

Now I did have the correct WEP password for us. I didn't have our MAC addresses on there cause we are in an apartment complex so I just used the WEP AND there are several other secured wireless spots so it's not that big a deal. Sorry if I'm forgetting something I'm currently on muscle relaxers and pain killers so I might sound a bit out of it. I believe I covered everything... oh yes the wireless cards for both our machines are working. I've used mine at the University and it worked flawless (as usual). OH one last thing I tried to run a line from the router to my machine and it didn't work.

So CURRENTLY we have to jack in directly from modem.

Equipment, Linksys WRT54G (I believe G), I have a wireless D-Link DWL-G630 card, roommates is built in don't know what it is, and we are both using XP.

Thank you for your time.

Are we still trying to fix the problem with the router?

Edited by acklan, 09 January 2007 - 01:23 AM.

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Pardon like I said I was drugged up so I left out some parts. I currently can't get a signal from my router to my wireless nic.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I understand. What we need you to do is connect to a wired port on your router and gain access to the router's configuration page so we can assist you further.

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ok I got in, I changed the SSID, I changed the passphrase... now the only thing I'm having is no signal on the bars from the "available wireless networks" screen. My card keeps trying to acquire an address and it's not going down. I can still gain access to the router but no internet access.

I basically can still get a signal from other wireless networks in the area but not from my own cause it's not sending out one.

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
One last thing I tried to ping and trace and I got 0's across the board. Thank you.

Advertisements

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
What kind of Security are you using? Using certain security decreases router signal.

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Other than the security (WEP) for the router and my basic security from XP. I'm using no security like zone alarm or anything else like that.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Try turning it off to see if the signal increases.

Is there any other wireless modes you can try and is capable with your wireless card of adapter?

Victor Creed

Victor Creed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I've turned it off and I've turned off on my laptop connected and unconnected. My card works fine I've used it elsewhere. The problem is I don't have a signal coming from the router period. The other signals around here are fine I cann see them and they are full green, ours? Is all white and there's nothing there.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Have you upgraded the firmware yet?

What kind of router is this?