Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Error

• Please log in to reply

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advanced for reading!

Outlook crashed on me the other day. I get a message...

"Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your admin if this condition persists."

Does anyone know how to fix this?

I'm on my home computer with XP Pro, Zonealarm, Spyware Doctor, and Tune-Up Utilities (until the free trial expires :-P).

Any help would be well appreciated.

TJ

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

do you have admin priviliges ?.

cheers...xxx1

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
I have had that problem before with a user I set up last week.

Open Control Panel, double click Mail icon. A window will appear that will load up the users Outlook PST files.

If you know where the PST file is on the users PC then, use the window to browse for it and then exit it.

Load Outlook then problem sorted.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

CAUSE
This issue may occur if you deploy Outlook 2003 with the Microsoft Office 2003 Custom Installation Wizard and specify a personal folder (.pst) file in the Windows Installer transform (MST file) by using the Default location for PST files path option. The problem occurs because you specify a file name instead of a folder path.
Back to the top

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue for future installations of Office, use the Custom Installation Wizard to edit the MST file. To do this, follow these steps: 1. On the Change Office User Settings page (page 10 of 24), expand Microsoft Outlook 2003, expand Miscellaneous, and then click PST Settings.
2. In the right pane, double-click Default location for PST files, and then type the path that you want in the Default location for PST files box. For example, type %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\.
3. Click OK, and then follow the steps to complete the wizard. When you have corrected the MST file, deploy Office by using the correct MST file.
To resolve this issue for an existing installation of Outlook that is experiencing this problem, specify the .pst file by using the Mail icon in Control Panel.
go here - http://support.micro...-...&sid=global for a further read

cheers...xxx1

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

To resolve this issue for an existing installation of Outlook that is experiencing this problem, specify the .pst file by using the Mail icon in Control Panel.

I found that on xxx1's link. Also, it's the same information Dave gave. However, I'm still confused. I click on Control Panel>Mail... and then I'm assuming I click Data Files. If I click Personal Folders and then Open Folder, I am unable to do much. I am simply looking at "archive (office data file, 256kb)" and "Outlook (office data file, 71,441kb)." If I click on the Outlook office data file, I can open it with Outlook, but then I get the following error...

Cannot start MS Office Outlook. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\TJ\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst. Quit Outlook and all mail-enabled applications, and then use the Inbox repair tool (Scanpst.exe) to diagnose and repair errors in the file. For more information about the Inbox repair tool, see Help.

I tried clicking Run>Scanpst.exe, but it said it wasn't found. I'm completely lost! :-( HELP!

Edited by TJGuitarZ, 09 January 2007 - 11:43 AM.

TJGuitarZ

TJGuitarZ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!

Turn's out that my inbox repair tool was hidden or something. I found on the following page a new download for it, as well as its location.

http://www.emailaddr...ook/repair.html

HORRAY!

First thing on my agenda now... switch to Thunderbird :whistling: