Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD drives burns slow

• Please log in to reply

leingod

leingod

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi there! Sorry this might take a while, but it helps.

For a while now my Lite-On DVD drive started burning slowly ever since I installed Win2000 (SP4) as a primary OS on a (fairly) old computer system. Before I had XP running, and the burner was burning at full speed for both DVD and CD. 48x for CD and 16x for DVD. When I installed Win2000, it started to slow down the CD max burn was @ 10x to 16x and DVD no more than 2x.

At that point, I thought the OS was a problem, so I asked around and they said it had nothing to do with the OS. I assumed my burner had just started to die, even though I had it for 6 months.

Just today, I bought a new burner to replace it. A Sony DRU-830A. I got it working, then I tested something to burn. It took 1 hour to burn a full DVD using Nero 7 (that came with the Drive). Even though I set the burn speeds to 16x. I tested using a CD, no more that 16x when trying to burn at MAX speed.

Instead, I thought again and my Lite-on wasn't dying, but it was the OS. So I used a fresh install of WinXP SP2 (on another HDD), and installed Nero 7. I tried burning again, it took another hour to burn a full DVD and the same thing with burning CD as peviously mentioned.

I've burnt stuff using other apps, to see if Nero was the problem, but the same thing happens. I used SONY 1-16x and TDK 1-16x DVD-Rs and Verbatims 52x CD-Rs. Both (before the problem) are capable at burning at different speeds.

So the problem is, why aren't my DVD drives burning at the desired speeds? Reading speeds are normal, but burning speeds are slow? Could anyone help me resolve this problem?

Any help is VERY much appreciated. Thanks.

Edit:
I just started burning a DVD using DVD Decypter and just noticed that I have a 0% Buffer, but the Device buffer still is active. Maybe thats a problem? BTW I'm a computer noob.

Edited by leingod, 08 January 2007 - 03:28 AM.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

check for firmware updates ?............ also driver updates.

cheers...xxx1

leingod

leingod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes, all firmware and driver updates are accounted for.

Edited by leingod, 08 January 2007 - 03:31 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
Is DMA enabled ? Make sure windows is not in PIO mode.

cheers...xxx1

leingod

leingod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I'll go check if DMA is enabled, however whats PIO mode?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
(Programmed Input/Output mode) The data transfer mode used by IDE drives. These modes use the CPU's registers for data transfer in contrast with DMA, which transfers directly between main memory and the peripheral device. i googled this it explains it better than i would.

cheers...xxx1

leingod

leingod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry, to be such a bother, but becuase I'm using Windows 2000 right now, I can't seem to figure to to find out how to check if weather my DMA is enabled or not.

Even so, I'm sure if Windows is in PIO mode. But I don't think it is.

EDIT:
Sorry, I know how to do it now :whistling:

EDIT2:
It looks like its functioning fine now. But I'll have to do some testing. Thank you very much for your assistance. :blink: If anything goes wrong, I'll be sure to post again.

Edited by leingod, 08 January 2007 - 04:23 AM.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

programmed input/output (or PIO) transfers are slower and take up a lot more processor time than direct memory access (or DMA) transfers

1. Click Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
2. Click System Tools, and then click Device Manager.
3. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
4. Click the specific controller for which you want to configure DMA/PIO settings.
5. Click the Advanced Settings tab.
6. In the Transfer Mode box, click either PIO Only or DMA if available.

cheers...xxx1