Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Turn off Laptop monitor

• Please log in to reply

dude71121

dude71121

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Here's the story:

I'm having a little trouble with my roommate snooping through my stuff. He's stolen some money out of my drawer and all sorts of little things.

Here's what I'm doing:

I have a camera connected to my computer and have a program ready to run to record. I also have LogMeIn which will allow me to access my computer via another computer. However I need my monitor to turn off.

Here's what I need:

I need a program that will allow me to turn off my laptop's monitor, so it looks like the computer has been turned off. I have two programs that do that, but when I access my laptop via another computer, the monitor turns on when I do anything on my laptop. I need a program that will keep the computer screen off unless I use the keyboard in a certain key move, like Ctrl+SHIFT+M or something like that. Not when I move the mouse.

Can someone please help me? Is there a program out there that can help with this!?

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

what make and model laptop do you have ?.

cheers...xxx1

dude71121

dude71121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dell Inspiron E1705

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
sorry i cannot think of a program to help you or one that i'd trust, other than opening your lap and i would rather not go there.

cheers...xxx1

dude71121

dude71121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Alright. Can anyone else help me?

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You could check the power management options in Control Panel. I've got a Dell Latitude and it has a setting for Power Buttons - "When I close the lid of my portable computer:" and the choices are None, Standby, Power Off. I can choose None, close the lid and the computer stays on.

This may or may not be an option for you, but I thought I'd throw it out.

dude71121

dude71121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ooo! I like, thanks! I'll try that. :whistling:

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
good, if you have that option as LindaGail suggested, where is the cam positioned ?, is it prebuilt with lap.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,802 posts
You may like UltraVNC. It allows you to control a computer remotley, and has the option to blank the monitor and disable input for the computer you are controling. That way not only will no one be able to see what you are doing on the PC, but also can't mess with you :blink:

http://www.ultravnc.com

You may want to test it out first. I've noticed on some computers, the monitor will flicker rather than go completely blank. And then for some computers (mainly between 2 XP computers with different versions of the OS) the program will have video trouble and you will only receive a blank screen upon remoting in.

Hope this helps :whistling:

dude71121

dude71121

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, I'll try that out tonight. :whistling: