Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buy Lenovo or build

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
There is a current deal available for a Lenovo desktop system that looks very good to take care of my need for a low/mid range business PC. Specs are AMD +4000, 250GB SATA III HD, 1 GB DDR2 RAM, DVD +/- burner, 7 USB, multicard reader, integrated 128MB shared video, 1 open PCIe x16 slot, 1 open PCI slot, 1 open 5.25 bay, a couple of 3.5" bays and 250W power supply. It also comes with a 19" wide screen LCD monitor with 5ms response time and 500:1 contrast ratio. This is available for $549.

I figure all I really need is a second HD (I prefer my OS on a separate drive) and a low end PCIe video card. With careful shopping I figure that can be done for less than $100.

Can anyone spec me a system what would be a better deal than this?

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

whats your budget ?.

cheers...xxx1

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The cost of the Lenovo system is $550. But the monitor has a minimum value of $125 so the real budget to produce a self assembled system would be a maximum of $425. Remember, the question is not can I build a better system but can I build a better system for the same or less money?

It seems to me that the inclusion of the moitor with it's specs make it difficult to beat the deal. But, I'm not in touch with the high quality midrange components that may be out there with which to build.