Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Heating Issues

• Please log in to reply

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
***Stop : 0X00000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF5D9C7A2, 0XF3A9FA9C, 0X00000000)

Made an error on the first line, this should be the right one.

Advertisements

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
any advice plz?

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Try here for that error code.

posssible microsoft hotfix

rand1038

rand1038

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Excuse me for butting in but that patch is out of date for SP2, which morose has on his machine.

Date        Time  Version            Size    File name    Platform
  --------------------------------------------------------------------
  08-Jan-2004  19:06  5.1.2600.1330  1,678,080  Win32k.sys  x86

08-Jan-2004  19:07  5.1.2600.1330  5,623,552  Win32k.sys  IA-64

He already has a newer version, probably 5.1.2600.2180 or newer. Don't apply that patch.

The stop error morose posted relates to pnat.sy (or should it be ipnat.sys?) and is related to an unhandled segmentation fault (pnat.sys tried to write to memory it did not own/was not authorized to use most likely OR the memory module is defective).

Was the file listed on the stop screen PNAT.sys or IPNAT.sys (capitals for clarification, case is meaningless as windows treats file names in a case insensitive manner). If the file name is actually PNAT.sys then you probably have malware. Look in windows/system32/drivers for a file called IPNAT.sys and another called PNAT.sys, which do you find there? What are their versions? If there is no PNAT.sys and the version of IPNAT.sys is at least 5.1.2600.2180 then try this tool for testing your RAM (x86 architecture).
Memtest86.
It is recommended in this ZDNet article by Brien M. Posey MCSE

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
ah.. how could i have missed this... Theres an "i" infront of it. I'll try the memtest86 and see wad happens , thx =) will post back in a while

*** : ipnat.sys-address F5D9C7AZ base at F5D91000, Datestamp 41563714

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hmm, i've some trouble doing this memtest86.

Download - Pre-Compiled Memtest86 v3.2 installable from Windows and DOS

That is the version i clicked on. Suitable for win xp ya? From then on, i cant seem to figure how it works. Tried both install.exe and rawrite.exe but none of them helped. I've to enter some keys which i've no idea what it is. Also, i read the guide and it mentioned that i'll need an empy disk in my cd drive?

I do not have a burning software in my computer. Does that mean i cant test without the software?

rand1038

rand1038

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Put a blank floppy in your floppy drive. Open "My Computer" then right click the floppy drive icon and choose "Format". In the dialog box that opens DO NOT choose "Quick Format". Click ok to the dialog and allow the format to finish. If you don't format the disk first chances are much greater that the program will fail to run properly.

Leave the floppy disk in the drive, go to the folder where you unzipped memtest to (you must have unzipped memtest, it will not work from a zip directory) and double click install.bat. For the target drive enter the letter 'a' and press enter. The programs will be copied to the floppy disk (the dos window will close). Once that is done you WILL NOT be able to look at the contents of the disk (windows will give you a "disk is not formatted" message), that is normal.

Leave the floppy disk in the drive and reboot the computer. If you get any messages about booting from the floppy make sure it happens. If you get a message about not being able to read from the floppy or memtest does not run, toss out that floppy disc, format and reinstall memtest on a different one.
Let memtest run all eight of its tests, at least two passes (all 8 tests twice) unless you get errors the first time. Plan on this taking close to an hour, time varies with the amount of memory to test and your machines cpu, etc. If you don't get any errors after two passes chances are good that your memory is ok. Post back with the results of the test (you will have to write them down, memtest doesn't contain any printiing or file saving options).

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
do u mean wait till it says 100% passes? there are only 8 tests? Ok i'll try it now.

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Heres the result from the memtest

Wall time : 2 hours
Cached : 768M
RsvdMem : 128K
MemMap : e820-Std
Cache : On
ECC : Off
Test : Std
Pass : 2
Errors : 0
ECCErrors :

Looks fine?

rand1038

rand1038

• Pip
  • 6 posts
It is still possible that this is a RAM or hardware problem but we can only do so much to test that theory. Before we proceed with fix attempts we will need some reproducability to test against, some more clues wouldn't hurt either. Are there any steps that you can take to get the blue screen every time or at least most of the time? For example: launching a certain program or series of programs or having a certain number or group of programs open concurrently?

Check the properties of ipnat.sys and let us know what version and size it is, make sure that Microsoft is the company name, do a search of your system for ipnat.sys after enabling (Start>Control Panel>Folder Options, Vew tab) "Display the contents of system folders", "Show hidden files and folders". Uncheck the option "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)".

I see some info out there about updating ipnat.sys for other problems so that may be an option but we want to establish a condition first for reproducing the problem if that is possible, that way we can verify the repair. It is also possible that this is not a problem with ipnat.sys but something that propagated up the chain from another module.

Advertisements

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Posted Image

Heres the screenshot of wad ur looking for i believe.

5.1.2600.2524 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.040919-1056) <-- thats the file version.

Btw, i didnt miss anything with the memtest ya?

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
grrr, cant edit...

Btw, normally the restart happens when im botting on 2 diablo 2 windows, and then at the same time, starting to open alot more programs like surfing the net, then loading some applications like msn and mirc, and then outlook express. Thats when the comp normally restarts . No specific ones as i've had it restart on lotsa different scenerios

rand1038

rand1038

• Pip
  • 6 posts
From the information you posted it looks like the memtest run went fine and found no problems.

Did you do a search of your system after configuring folder options as stated in my earlier post? It is important that we verify that there is only one copy of ipnat.sys on your system as an out of date or malicious copy in the system search path before the drivers folder would cause problems.

Are there any steps that you can take to get the blue screen every time or at least most of the time? (see earleir post)

rand1038

rand1038

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't seem to have the ability to edit either.

See if you can narrow it down at all. Is there any one program that has to be open for the problem to occur?

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Oh, ok, missed the show all files tab.

Heres the SS after that step. The one file is my screenshot.

Posted Image

Regarding programs that are present whenever theres a restart are programs like my 2 xs diablo 2 game bots and firefox. As for outlook express, its not as often i believe. If it happens again, i'll take note of the existing program.

Btw, i read somewhere regarding the swop of position for both rams, and i did just that last nite. Till now, i've not have a single restart, and the the memtest going well, probably the swop solved the problem somehow?