Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WTF does that do!?!

• Please log in to reply

Mikes Mirth

Mikes Mirth

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi, i'm very new to the world of laptops so im very rusty when it comes to the general hardware accessories of a laptop. the thing is i have bought an advent 7108, on the front of the laptop to the left of the DVD-drive theres something that appears to be an infrared port, although theres no evidence of this being on the laptop using such programs as belarc and everest they even find nothing to do with this infrared type thing, surely there would be a driver for this or is there anywere i can get 1. its a media center laptop so it may be for the microsoft media remote control? can anyone shed some light on this???
cheers :whistling:

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's an infra-red port sure enough mike. Enables the laptop to connect to other infra-red devices such as some mobile phones, for example, and presumably the microsoft media centre keyboard and remote control, both of which have an infra-red transmitter.

The IR port should be listed in the Device Manager of Windows MCE (assuming it has a Device Manager like the other versions of XP). The driver for it is installed with Windows, it doesn't need an external driver.

Mikes Mirth

Mikes Mirth

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Yer i looked in device manager, theres nothin that represents the infrared :whistling: