Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows boot problem

• Please log in to reply

Alloy

Alloy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
right well , 2 days ago while playin a game nd swapping between that nd 2 other program my pc froze twice and the crashed completely , i restarted it and it got stuck on the xp loadin screeny thing . so i turned it off nd left it for an hour or so ......... turned it bac on and started it in safe mode , ran a defag.... 5hrs later it finish... then a virus scan ... nothin wrong there . off goes the pc , bac on . the xp load screen took about 50 times for the blue dots 2 go accross before it decided 2 continue . ive run a ram check , fine , i then ran eventvwr.msc , looked at the system log 2 see alot of errors of which non i understand

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
The DHCP Client service depends on the NetBios over Tcpip service which failed to start because of the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning.

in total bout 19 errors nd 8 warrings in a row .

am i needing a new harddrive? or a sledge hammer to my pc
sorry if this is something that has been covered before
ty 4 any help

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
What is the hard disk manufacturer?
Go to there web site and D/l and run their diagnostics for the drive.
Also back up your data if you haven't.

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
its western digital , ive run a Diag test , says its fine :S Also - my mouse pointer keeps disapaearing :S

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Anything else i can do or should i just kiss my pc goodbye?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Alloy...

It doesn't look good, but let's look a little closer anyway.

Do you have the XP installation cd? Some of the things I'd like to try are on that.

wannabe1

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yea i do :whistling:
wat is there i can do ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Boot to the cd.

On the first blue screen (Welcome to Setup), press R to load Recovery Console.

The next screen should be black and will show the current installation (1: C:\WINDOWS) press the number key that corresponds to your operating system...this is usually 1.

You will be asked for the Admin password...just press Enter

You should now be at a command prompt (C:\WINDOWS>)

Type chkdsk /r and press Enter

This will run a long and thorough check on the file system. Let it finish. It may appear to hang, to start over, or even back up a bit and then continue...this is normal. 60 to 90 minutes is not unusual for this to run.

When it completes and is back at the command prompt, type exit and press Enter

The machine should boot to Windows after you press Enter...let me know how this goes.

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
right well i did what u said , with /r infront of chkdsk everything was fine other than 3 lines of somethin like doin deeper checkin/ recovering , wit /p i got " found one of more errors on the volume
also on a side note , d/l'd speedfan , HD temp is 60.. according 2 that :S dunno how reliable that is thou
so i need a new hardrive? yes?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
60* is pretty hot...

When was the last time your cleaned the dust out of the CPU cooler? Are the fans spinning up good? (fan RPM should be displayed in SpeedFan)

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
awhile Lol , or never , my fan is spin'ing at 2058 RPM or around that ( i do hav the side off just cos it was gettin hot ALSO ma power unit tends 2 get abit roasting as well . i know i need more fans in this pc !
any way i can check ma mobo is ok ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
As you have the case open, can you see the CPU cooler? Is it fill or dust and lint? If it looks at all dirty, get a can of compressed air and give it a good cleaning...give the PSU a good shot, too. When you are cleaning around any of the fans, put your finger gently on the fan to keep it from spinning when you hit it with the air. Spinning a fan too fast can damage the bearings.

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
it doesunt look that bad all , ive seen worse in alot of over pcs, but i'll get some comp air nd giv it a cleanin .

should i b concernd wit the fact that when i turn ma pc on the fan for the power unit makes a great noise Lol nd doesunt stop for about 5mins nd thats when i tap it , or is this just it startin up from cold? or loose bolts or somethin?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Might be time for a new Power Supply. If the fan isn't working right and the power supply gets too hot, it can cause the problems you describe.

Alloy

Alloy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
well , i brought a new fan/ comp air nd a new hd .. took ma pc totaly appart only leaving the mobo nd power unit , cleaned everythin ( o the joys of mountains of dust) had problems puttin the processor cooling stuff bac on but sorted that in the end . now it seems 2 run fine which has :S me , no need for the new hardrive it seems , thou yea im gonna get a new power unit .