Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Comp restarts itself randomly

• Please log in to reply

morose

morose

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
It never restart itself on idle tho, its only whenever i tried starting any program, or when i tried to surf the net, the comp just restarts itself. There are no viruses as i've tried searching for them with quite abit of tools and also with the help here. Perfectly clean logs, etc.

Heres more info on whats done and whats discussed.

http://www.geekstogo...eck-t13526.html

Can tests i could do or any stuffs that might have determined wad made my comp restarts itself?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Check Event Viewer for error messages that occured at the time of reboot

Start > Run > eventvwr.msc
<enter>

MOST of the time, however, random reboots without error messages are HEAT or POWER SUPPLY related.

To check for heat, open it up and clean out all the fans...take a fan and blow lightly across the computer at LOW speed and run some intense activity.

If it still REBOOTs (not crash), then you need to get the power supply checked (can't really walk your through that).

It could also be bad memory, but MOST of the time, you will get an error message associated with bad memory in XP, which has fairly good error catching subroutines.

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hmm, ok.

Im at the eventvwr.msc now. Which log under system should i post tho?
Heres a couple error on and 3 minutes after the error

The RpcImpersonateClient call failed with the following error:
No security context is available to allow impersonation.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Unable to start a DCOM Server: {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541}. The error:
"The system cannot find the file specified. "
Happened while starting this command:
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe -Embedding

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

Under information, i believe this is the one that causes the restart.

The TrueVector Internet Monitor service was successfully sent a stop control.

Hmm, actually, when the comp restarted last nite, i've only turned it on for 3 hours after some 6 hours or so of rest. Also, i just installed a new 120mm fan, blowing right at the motherboard (located above the heatsink). Also, i left the cpu sleeping down on a cushion, with one case opened, facing the air so the hot air can rise.

I've also removed the power tank from its usual location and located it outside the cpu as the area under the power tank was always hot. This slot has been filled by the 120mm fan.

If it is a heat issue, shouldnt more fans do the trick?

Also cpu usage is normally at 100%.

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, i unchecked the auto-restart box on error from the control panel, and this is what is shown. Could anyone decipher this and come up with a solution? Thx...

***Stop : 0X00000008EL 0XC0000005, 0XF5D9C7A2, 0XF3A9FA9C, 0X00000000

*** : pnat.sys-address F5D9C7AZ base at F5D91000, Datestamp 41563714

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical of memory dump complete

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
***Stop : 0X00000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF5D9C7A2, 0XF3A9FA9C, 0X00000000)

Made an error on the first line, this should be the right one.

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
any advice plz?

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
how many posts have you got on this problem morose!!!! lets just get it all into one, just post to one of the so we haven't got so much work to do.
and incidently in case you don't know "true vector" is to do with zone alarm. maybe that is one of your problems

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
you said your cpu is allways at 100% cpu? something is not right there. run HIJACK this( search google ) and post the log. DO NOT FIX OR DO ANYTHING just post the log file when you save it.

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
Remailer,

Morose has already been seen in malware section, we have sorted out his hjt logs, there is/was nothing showing, after we sorted out the problems he had at the time.

Remailer

Remailer

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Usetoby,

Hmmm... Ok, It maybe kind of sounds like a hardware issue.

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Sounds a lot like a bad ram chip, go to this website at M$ to get information and to download a memory testing program.

http://oca.microsoft.../en/windiag.asp

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I cant seem to use that memtest program. I saved it in my floppy disk, rebooted from A:\ but it gives me an error so i had to remove the disk in order to get back to windows.

Any idea wads wrong?

Sorry bout the multiple posts. If u realised, one was for the error i found, the error is a typo error, the last being a quick bump before i get to bed =p

morose

morose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Heres the result from the memtest

Wall time : 2 hours
Cached : 768M
RsvdMem : 128K
MemMap : e820-Std
Cache : On
ECC : Off