Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win2k/xp dual boot gone wrong

• Please log in to reply

davidgman

davidgman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the boot.ini file again and delete the contents of the notepad window.

Copy the red text below, paste it into the boot.ini file window, click "File" on the toolbar, and click on "Save". This will eliminate the boot prompt at startup.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

How is the machine running? Have you been able to recover all your files?

davidgman

davidgman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The machine has been running perfectly so far. I've been able to recover almost the application data save one app which I can't get to function. But that is a small matter I can deal with on my own. I want to thank you for all the help resolving this problem you really saved me alot of time!

Best Regards,

David

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
My pleasure, David... :whistling:

Once you are sure you have everything you need from the Windows 2000 folder, you can simply delete it. If you need further assistance or run into problems, give me a shout!

wannabe1