Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Startup Problem

• Please log in to reply

Knox167

Knox167

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Let me start by mentioning that I have no experience of hard drive crash, which I suspect may be my problem...

I switch on my 3-yr old Emachines 420 (XP Home SP1) this morning to find it doesn't start up properly, or at all in fact. Power is certainly flowing to it (the fan activates, the processor light is on but does not blink to indicate any activity) but there is no monitor feed, and there appears to be no response whatsoever from the hard drive. I have checked all connections and everything looks fine.

I'm hoping this is due to some minor mechanical fault such as a blown wire or whatever, and that the drive is still intact. Please tell me this isn't likely to be a crash.

Edited by Knox167, 08 January 2007 - 11:56 AM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
2 start with, does the computer beep when turning on?
Look at mother board and see if all the capaciters (look like little barrels) are intact.
If not start taking out pci cards and ide and sata cables. (take out when com. is discconected from power source)
If still nothing, leave on board only cpu. it should beep.
If not probably one of the 2 is gone - cpu or mother board.

Here is the beep code that should help u
Beep Codes:

No Beeps: Short, No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals

One Beep: Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

One Long Beep, One Short Beep: Motherboard Problem

One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps: Video Problem

One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps: Video Problem

Three Long Beeps: Keyboard Error

Repeated Long Beeps: Memory Error

Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps: CPU Overheating

P.S. make shure that the spkr is on board or connected.

if manage to get to work connect one part at a time and c what happens.

Knox167

Knox167

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No bleep. Oh sweet Jesus, my life is gone.

I've got a repair guy coming tomorrow who can give me the full score, horrifying as it will probably be. I might just stick my head in the oven before then. Or get to work shopping for a blinging new system.

Thanks for the help.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Not all is lost.
In many casses only the mother board or cpu r down.
U can allways buy a new.
But no one stated that you'r data is gone.
If u have another computer u can connect hard drive to it and c what the situation is before the tec guy comes.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

if you can check the hdd in another pc .

cheers...xxx1

Knox167

Knox167

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ah, well that's something of a relief to say the least :whistling:. I'll call off the day of mourning.

I'm on my (very) old PC now, and have the broken one right next to it. Do I just USB the two together?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
try swapping the hdd.

cheers...xxx1

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Swapping the hdd will tell u if the hdd is working. It won't boot properly u should get a blue screen.

I suggest u connect the hard drive to the old computer inside connect the IDE cable (wide grey cable) make sure that the red (or blue) line on the cable is on the side of the power on the hdd.

To make it simple to check if the data is OK connect the hdd instead of the cd rom.