Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop makes a shutter sound

• Please log in to reply

robotkin

robotkin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My laptop (HP pavillion dv1000) occasionally (approximately every five minutes) makes a sound similar to a digital camera shutter sound. I can't figure it out but it hasn't caused me any trouble until yesterday, when my backlight appears to have gone out after 18 months of perfect performance. I called HP and they said to send it in for a $300 repair; anyone have any better options?
Clueless....

Advertisements

acoustics

acoustics

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop does the same thing. It's bugging me cause a google search for "shutter sound on laptop" mentions it could be malware, but then again - - why would malware ALERT you it's there??

So, not sure, and digging doesn't seem to find much. If you find or have found out - Please let me know!

~Peace.

jas.

Edited by acoustics, 19 December 2008 - 06:07 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I have heard of this problem before I think

Some software is causing it, cant remember what exactly

acoustics

acoustics

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So it's good software or bad software? google just doesn't seem to pull anything useful about this problem up. Appreciate your help!

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
It was good software in the end

acoustics

acoustics

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help! That makes me feel a bit better about the every 10-15 second shutter noise. I was thinking it might be one of the many virus, trojan or malware checking software I have avail on my comp. I went thru to see if I have anything checkmarked to take a "picture" of my computer every doggone 10seconds but so far haven't found anything. Thanks again, your site rocks. I'll try to spread the word about it.
jason.

Edited by acoustics, 12 February 2009 - 10:18 AM.