Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible VRM Problem

• Please log in to reply

darthwalters

darthwalters

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright my problem is one I have yet to run into and I haven't been able to get help elsewhere. I am fairly certain that I may need a new VRM, but don't know where I can obtain this replacement part. And since I'm not 100% sure, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the experts.

I have a Dell Precision Workstation 470 that was refurbished and sold through their outlet. I have also replaced and upgraded individual parts over the last year and a half to get the machine up to the tasks I needed it for, so it really is a mis-mash of a computer. I have never touched the dual processors or the voltage regulation module (of which there appears to be only one) since I purchased it.

I just returned from my holiday vacation. As is common practice, I had unplugged everything in the condo before we left. When I plugged my machine back in after returning, the dual processor fans revved up into overdrive and didn't let up. After powering up the machine, the fans eventually calmed, but the system wouldn't boot. My monitor flashed the message that there was not workstation attached to it, and the indication lights on the front of my tower clicked on and off. After tracking down the list of indication patterns on the dell website, it appears I was getting one green and two yellows which according to the list indicated a VRM failure.

I attempted to follow their test instructions, but after reseating the processors and the VRM, all the following tests referred to the machine having a VRM for each processor, when my machine appears to have only one. I sent in my service request three days ago with no response and I've attempted to phone direct with little success. This is definitely putting me behind at work since I have a home business.

Oh, one further thing, whenever the machine is started now, the fans rev to a ridiculous speed with the indication lights staying the same. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

adrian22

adrian22

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi try taking of the fan then booting the system up then reatach the fan if that dosnt work you will need to
take the pc into a repair shop or have alook about for a replacement on the net

darthwalters

darthwalters

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thanks for the reply. I finally got in touch with a tech and I had multiple parts in need of replacement probably due to a some electrically wiring being bad in my new place. Luckily I have that wonderfully warranty to help me, so I think I'm good for now.