Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Startup Programs

• Please log in to reply

interpolarity

interpolarity

• PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I have found out how to edit the registry to have startup programs, but I want to know how to have it startup, but minimize to the system tray.
Posted Image
P.S. the AIM entry was not added by me, and it minimizes....

Advertisements

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
curious request. Try adding /minimize to the end of the entries. When using DOS to start a program, that starts it minimized.

If not /minimize, try just /min

Let me know if it works.

DaveC2003

DaveC2003

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Would it not be easier to start programs using Scheduled Tasks?

I find that changing entries in the registry as a last resort. One mistake leads to reinstalling the operating system.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
not really. Though the best idea would have been to simply put shortcuts to the programs Interpolarity wants to start in the Start --> All Programs --> Startup folder. And then the shortcuts can be modified in the Properties window to run the program minimized by using the Run drop-down box.

I find that changing entries in the registry as a last resort. One mistake leads to reinstalling the operating system.

Depends on how familiar you are with the registry. I mess with it from time to time and never had any problems whatsoever. I don't worry about backing it up since I know what I'm doing, but that is not a good practice for most people :whistling:

Edited by computerwiz12890, 08 January 2007 - 06:30 PM.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I got it to work! thank you! (I tried with the registry, but for some reason it did nothing...sry)

I actually have a funny story with regediting. One time I was cleaning up my registry from some values that were set in there by spyware, and by accident, I deleted the key instead of the values, and I didn't know about backing up the registry, so afterwards the internet was disabled. In order to get my computer back to normal, I used system restore. System restore has saved me several times.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Problem....it isn't working anymore.....the programs started up minimized the first time I checked, but afterwards they started maximized....I checked to see if they reverted to their original settings, but they didn't....some help please?

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
You said you got it to work, but not with the registry. How exactly did you end up getting it to work?

PS...if you have them as registry entries and being called to start up elsewhere, that could be causing conflicts...

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
I deleted the registry entries, and put them in my startup folder with the minimize attribute....it worked hte first time, but not now....

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hmm, looks like it wants to be ornery with us :help: There's more than one way to deal with setting up startup programs :whistling:

Give me the full path to each program you want to start up minimized. (example: C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe) I'll write a batch file for you which you can stick in the startup folder. It will start each one minimized. One advantage to this batch file is if for some reason you want to start up each program again, all it will take is one click, rather than clicking on each program.

This will also give you a glimpse of programming using little 'ole notepad. :blink:

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
C:\Program Files\AIM6\aim6
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox
C:\Program Files\Watchtower\Watchtower Library 2005\e\wtlib *

*What happens when I upgrade to 2006?

Thanx a lot for your help!

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
Hmm, I was playing around with getting my CCleaner program started minimized, and it wouldn't do it. :whistling:

I think in the programming of some of these programs, they are not allowed to start up minimized. Which makes me wonder how it was able to work the first time...

What happens when I upgrade to 2006?

You can right-click on the batch file, and select Edit. Change the line with the Watchtower Library to what the new path will be. If you need help with that, let me know.

Here's the batch file. Unzip it before running it:

Attached File  startup_programs.zip   283bytes   292 downloads

Run it right after you download it and you'll find out right away if it will work or not. No point in putting it in the startup folder if it doesn't even work.

And if it doesn't, then it looks like these programs don't allow you to have them startup minimized. But if you go into the programs themselves, and look in their options, I believe you may find an option to startup minimized for AIM and Itunes. Doubt it for Firefox and Watchtower.

interpolarity

interpolarity

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
Only AIM worked.... and watchtower gives me an error message saying this,
"This application has failed to start because ureappshare12u.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem."

I'll try to manually fix the iTunes, and btw.... I have an add-on for fiefox that when you close it, it really minimizes to the tray so I edited the batch file but it doesn't work.... maybe I'm doing it wrong....
Oh, if you just have iTunes minimize regularly (not to the tray) that would be fine too

Edited by interpolarity, 14 January 2007 - 02:53 PM.

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts

Oh, if you just have iTunes minimize regularly (not to the tray) that would be fine too

That's all I can do with the batch file. If these programs are not minimizing the way you like after both trying the Startup Folder method and the Batch file method, then I don't think those particular programs support starting up minimized.

Wish I could help more, but that's all I got. If anyone else has any ideas, they're welcome to come try :whistling: