Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

When Ever I Run My Computer Icon

• Please log in to reply

Zinc12

Zinc12

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I don't know whats going on with the "My Computer" icon I run it and it takes an extremely long time to show all the drives I have.

Thanks!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go.

Here are two routine maintenance things that should help overall performance.

1. Download and install ccleaner. This will find and delete unnecessary and temp files.

2. Defrag C:\. Open My Computer, right click C:\, Properties, Tools, Defrag. Depending on how long it's been since the last time you've run this, and how large the hard drive drive is and how full it is, this may take a long time to run.

Look at Microsoft article 819017 that deals with this issue. Try stopping the Windows Image Acquisition Service, as described in the article.

If the above doesn't help significantly, please answer the following questions:

1. What are your specs? RAM, HD Size, HD Free Space.

2. Confirm your operating system. If Windows XP - Home or Pro? SP2, fully up-to-date with critical updates?

3. How many drives do you have to display in My Computer? include type, i.e. internal, USB, mapped drive

4. What Antivirus and Firewall do you run?

5. How long has My Computer been slow to open and display the drives?

6. Is there something that happened with the computer just before this problem presented itself?

7. Check the Event Viewer for additional error information. Click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. On the left side, you'll see three categories: Applicaton, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for Warnings and Errors that are logged at the same time My Computer is trying to open. Once you have a specific event opened, you'll have a "copy to clipboard" icon on the right side just under the down arrow. Paste the warnings or errors you find.

Edited spelling - sorry.

Edited by LindaGail, 08 January 2007 - 09:50 PM.

Zinc12

Zinc12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank You!! I fixed it after I looked at the Microsoft Help Thing.

Thank You Very Much!!

Edited by Zinc12, 08 January 2007 - 11:46 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Wonderful! :whistling: