Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

trouble installing Dimond Stealth s85 video card

• Please log in to reply

drgwspup

drgwspup

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
hi folks

I had a hard drive issue a few weeks ago and wound up installing a new HD and reinstalling XP Home.

I want to reinstall the video card I had installed previously for dual monitor usage.

I want to reinstall Diamond Stealth S85 PCI with Radeon 9250.

QUick install guide says to make some changes to the bios. Can't find the the changes to make.

Physically installed the card but the system hangs when booting to windows. Install notes say to wait for windows to recognize the card and then run the driver CD. I can't get to that point.

Running a Compaq Presario sr1350nx, P4 3Ghz

Thanks for your help

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
The Compaq Presario sr1350nx has integrated graphics. What you need to do is access the bios and disable the onboard integrated graphics. The information I found at http://h10025.www1.h...f...73&lang=en#
does not indicate that you have an AGP slot, so I will assume the graphics card you are trying to install goes into a PCI slot. Once you have disabled the on board graphics, windows should "find" the new graphics card in the pci slot.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Austin,

thanks for the reply!

I had changed the bios from on-board to PCI, so there was still a problem.

But thanks for sending the link, I used that information to uninstall the prior video drivers and that has helped.

I can now boot up (no hanging at the windows screen) and I now get images on both monitors and actually log onto Windows.

But before i can install the drivers from Diamond, both screens go blank.

Additional suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hey austin,

Any suggestions on the screens going blank?

I disconnected one, then the other screen and the screen still goes blank after aboout 30 seconds and I have to do a hard shutdown.

Helps!

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Try booting into safe mode and then run driver cleaner. Get it at http://www.drivercleaner.net/
Run it twice, each time deleting all that it finds. Then reboot and install the current video driver.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK will try tonight.

Stupid question: how do I boot into safe mode? I know how to get to boot sequence, setup and recovery. BUt whenever I've seen the safe mode option, it is because something didn't shut down or start up properly.

Sorry for the obvious question.

Mark

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
f8 key before windows starts to load. just keep tapping it till you get the menu

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK, I pruchased the driver cleaner and downloaded it to my work computer since my home computer screens won't stay on.

Tranferred it from my work cmputer to home via a memory stick, There was a message during the tranfer to the memory stick that there were files attached to the driver cleaner and that it might not copy properly. Clicked Ok and copied it.

Got home and tried to run it. Got a message that I needed Net framework 2.0 or higher to install the driver cleaner software. Apparently I have version 1.1.

Went to Microsoft website and d/l net framework redistributable 2.0. When I tried to install and got an error message. Wouldn't complete.

So I d/l net framework 3.0. Tried to install, same error message.

So right not I can't even run the Driver Cleaner that I purchased.

Q: what to do now?
Q: Will driver cleaner work even if I d/l to work computer and now trying to install at home?
Q: If it won't, how do I d/l cleaner driver to my home computer when I can't get to the internet in safe mode?

THis is frustrating. I'm glad you guys are available.

Mark

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
If you downloaded driver cleaner and put it on a flash drive, you should be able to install it and run it on the off line pc.

Edited by austin_o, 11 January 2007 - 07:46 PM.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
???

Yes it should run but won't. Like I said earlier the driver cleaner will not run because I don't Microsoft net framework 2.0/ When I try to load Net Framework 2.0 or higher, I get errors messages when it is trying to install.

If you can help me install Net Framework 2.0+, then I can load the Driver Cleaner.

TD_coder

TD_coder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Mark,

Sorry I wasn't around to join this thread earlier. This is in response to your question in the #4 post:

"Any suggestions on the screens going blank?"

Windows will blank screens that are not connected to its primary video controller (if they are not configured as multiple monitors). Windows appears to be selecting the integrated graphics controller dispite it being disabled in the Bios. Make sure your Bios is up to date.

You can confirm this by plugging one of your monitors into the integrated graphics port. If you see video output then Windows is bypassing the Bios setting.

drgwspup

drgwspup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
thanks for the input.

I got everything resolved on my own.

I got a private message from Austin O and we communicated that way. Sorry I should have come back here and told everyone it was RESOLVED.

Thanks again for looking at my thread>

Mark