Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What's causing this funky startup behavior?

• Please log in to reply

downstairs

downstairs

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer has recently begun exhibiting abnormal startup behavior; namely, when I push the power button, my computer does nothing for nearly two full minutes and then boots up normally.

By "does nothing" I mean no noises, no fan sounds, nothing...it's quiet as a grave. Then, after an approximately two-minute pause, it will start as normal - no errors or anything. Though the computer will consistently start every time I push the power button, it never will start immediately after the button push: I always get this bizarre extended period of nothing.

In my (extremely) limited knowledge of troubleshooting, I have done the following: pushed down on all the cables and cords on the motherboard to make sure they were secure (no change) and swapped out both the power source cable (no change) and the battery on the motherboard (no change). Something's probably on the fritz...but what?

FWIW, the computer is a homegrown Shuttle SN41G running XP Pro; AMD Athlon XP 2000+; 1.66 GHz, 1G of RAM.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Edited by downstairs, 09 January 2007 - 12:15 AM.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

sounds like the psu is on its way out ?. maybe..

cheers...xxx1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It does sound like it could be the power supply. You can get a tester:

http://www.xoxide.co...ply-tester.html

Or try another power supply, if you have one. It could also be a problem on the motherboard, but the power supply is the first thing to check out.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
i would'nt worry about getting a power supply tester, how many times would you intend on using one.
try another power source make sure its compatible with your mobo.

cheers...xxx1

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
The reason for the tester is to know what the problem is. The tester is pretty cheap and can be shared with friends. It is cheaper than a new power supply.

One of the first things that should be checked when troubleshooting a computer, or most devices for that matter, is the power. A computer power supply is harder to test with a volt meter since a load is needed and there are several voltages.

It is a nice tool to have too.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
what i meant was try another power source if at all possible, and if all goes well you will know its time for a new psu.
but that only my cents worth!! .......... if you feel the need for a power supply tester as Kemasa suggest i would weigh the benefits off buying one and its usage, against trying another power source, then again having one would also have benefits when needed.

cheers...xxx1