Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CMOS Checksum bad, Motherboard Power Direct, Date and Time Not Set

• Please log in to reply

RJT12

RJT12

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi All,
I have a Intel Pentium 4 with an Intel Origianl 845 GVSR Motherboard. My PC is 2.5 years old. A few days back I opened my hard disk to test another hard disk. But when I reconnected my disk, and started my comp, a message comes from the BIOS that the date and time has not been set and the CMOS checksum is bad. Everytime I set the date and time and save the changes, but the message doesn't stop appearing each time I restart. Also, the power in my motherboard has become direct , meaning, whenever I start my UPS, my CPU starts automatically and I don't have to switch it on myself. How do I fix this problem? Is this going to affect my PC or get my motherboard busted? Please help.
Thnx in advance.

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

have tried resetting the bios, take cmos battery out for 40 secs re-insert make sure the power is unplugged from the wall.

cheers...xxx1

RJT12

RJT12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi xxx1,
thnx for the reply .
Today morning I tried doing the same thing, I pulled out the battery and reinserted it with the powers off. I also cleaned the place before re inserting the battery. But nothing helped :whistling: . Is this going to bust my motheroard in the long run?

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
try a new battery this one could be low.

cheers...xxx1

let us know how you get on

RJT12

RJT12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok thnx .. but will it affect the motherboard? What might be the reason for the direct power to the motherboard? How do I fix it? Please help.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The power option is a setup option. Go into the setup menu and find the power settings. I would guess that the CMOS battery is dead or dying and the settings have reset to the default settings, which may be to power up when power is applied.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
new battery ... i think bios still reconizes the other hdd, dont forget to set the time/date etc mobo should be okay.

cheers...xxx1

RJT12

RJT12

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey
my com is working fine like before now. I didn't do much, I think the cleaning of the battery and replacing it worked !
Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. Shall get back again if any thing goes wrong.
Cheers!