Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Activesync looping

• Please log in to reply

GrumpyDragon

GrumpyDragon

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi

I'm running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP SP2 with all the latest MS updates applied. I sync my HP Jornada PDA running Pocket PC with outlook using Activesync 4.2.

Everything was fine until recently. Now when I connect the PDA (via the USB cradle) activisncy starts up, detects the PDA and effectivley loops, taking up all the processor power and slowing things to a standstill. Looking at task manager shows that it is WCESCOMM.EXE which is taking all the juice, anything up to 99%.

I've uninstalled and re-installed activesync a couple of times, but this hasn't made any difference. Of course, now I've done this, I need to reestablish the partnership between the two machines which I haven't been to do yet as the machine runs so slowly. Still, first things first, I want to at least get it running properly before I complete the niceties.

I have been trying to claen my machine up using Winpatrol, and I may have deleted or suspended something inadvertantly, but I deliberatly stayed away from anything which looked like activsync.

Help!

Graham

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Good morning.

Have you made any changes to your computer just prior to the ActiveSync problem? such as installing or updating your antivirus or firewall?

One common connection problem is antivirus and/or the firewall blocking the port ActiveSync uses. So try this:
Reboot your PC with the PDA out of the cradle. Then disable your antivirus and/or firewall before putting the PDA back on the cradle. Also perform a soft reset on the PDA before putting it back in the cradle.

Did this help?

GrumpyDragon

GrumpyDragon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi Linda

Yet again, the clues you provide sort the problem!

I disabled the firewall (Sygate) and tried to connect via IR. Suddenly it worked! I've searched the MS support KB and found a reference to setting up Sygate to pass traffic over the specific port - it now works via IR and the USB cradle.

Strange, as I hadn't changed anything in the firewall area, and it worked before.

Thanks.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad it's working again :whistling: