Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My mouse options in control panel has disappeared!

• Please log in to reply

robotsy

robotsy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have no idea what to do. Recently, I got some new Cursors, and wanted to change my Windows default ones. Except, once I got to the Control Panel, the Mouse Options were gone!

The Cursors are just icon and cursor files and i didn't need to install. It works on two other computers and their mouse options haven't disappeared.

What's happened and how can i fix it without the XP CD? I don't have it because it was installed in this laptop when i got it.

Thanks in advance.

robotsy

Advertisements

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

can you try a system restore,

Click Start.

Point to All Programs.

Point to Accessories.

Point to System Tools.

Click System Restore.

restore to an earlier check point, all changes can be un-done

cheers...xxx1

robotsy

robotsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi, xxx1

sorry, but I seems like deleted all the restore points when I was freeing up space last month. And this problem has been around for ages.

it doesn't really matter if there is nothing else available.

thanks

robotsy

P.S.
Oh, and for some reason I can't access my Add\Remove Windows Programs section it just comes up with:

Setup was unable to open information file msmsgs.inf.
Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 2088999592.

Edited by robotsy, 09 January 2007 - 03:36 AM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You could try SFC (System File Checker)
It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

If this doesn't help, please post back.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm sorry. If you don't have the XP CD, then you can't run SFC. Perhaps you have a friend who has an XP CD you could borrow? Or you could possibly use one of the CDs for one of the other computers? This will depend on whether Windows is OEM. Did you get any CDs with the computer when you bought it?

Let's see if the Mouse options are completely gone, or just not showing up in Control Panel. Click Start, Run, type in control mouse. Did the mouse control options come up?

robotsy

robotsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi LindaGail, thanks for helping

I tried to do what you said about the "control mouse" command in run and it comes up with an error message.

It says that main.cpl is missing. What is that? Can I fix it and would i have to get a CD in this case?

Oh, btw, the other computers in my house are all the same as the laptop (no XP CD, all pre-installed)

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Even with pre-installed computers, you should have gotten a Recover or Restore CD, which may or may not be silver like Microsoft CDs. Some manufacturers place the Windows set up files in a hidden part of the hard drive. What brand are your computers?

Do a search for main.cpl to confirm it's on your computer. Click Start, Search, type in main.cpl as the file name and locl disk c: as where you're looking. The results should show it in c:\windows\system32.

Then try this hint I found at kellys-korner-xp.com. It's a registry edit to restore missing Control Panel icons. I don't know if it will apply to case, but please check.

Click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT

Go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\don't load

Look in the right pane and you'll see the Control Panel Icons that have been disabled. You can either right click on the "don't load" subkey and select Delete to restore all disabled icons, or you can right click on each of the items in the right pane and select Delete to selectively restore them. Scroll up to Control Panel Applets for a listing of what each one is.

The change will be seen the next time you open Control Panel.

** Alway use extra care when editing the regisry. Be sure to backup the registry key (right click, export, give the file a meaningful name) or set a System Restore point before making any changes.

robotsy

robotsy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi LindaGail,

I tried the regedit method you told me, but it didn't work.

Eventually, I found a new copy of main.cpl from the internet and i put that into my system32 folder. It worked.

Thanks for helping

robotsy

P.S. The website where that was on was http://www.jonmega.c...nload_noSP1.php

the files work for SP2 as well.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Very good to know! Thanks for posting it.