Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU issue

• Please log in to reply

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I just upgraded from a Pentium 4 HT to a Pentium D Dual Core. I turn it on. There are no beeps. The power lights do not turn on. The fans work. The CD ejects and scans. Nothing gets to the monitors. Any ideas?

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Check you memory and cards. Make sure they were not unseated while you were installing the new CPU.

xxx1

xxx1

• PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
hi,

thankyou for starting a new thread, do you have another monitor to try ?.
so we can rule out a faulty monitor.

cheers...xxx1

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am not at home right now, so I can't check the ram. I don't think they are loose, but I will check anyway. I don't have a separate monitor. I do have a dual monitor configuration. Should I try just hooking one up at first? What other posiblities could it be?

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok. I just got home. All for RAM cards are firmly in place. All cables to and from the hard drive is secure. I took the new CPU out and put the old CPU back in and it turned on perfectly.

Any ideas? It's a brand new CPU. They are both LGA775. The Abit site says that it should work. Is there anything I should do in BIOS before I install the new CPU? I haven't had to do that before.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
With what you just stated I would believe you have a bad processor.

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
After further research, I have found that the chipsets are different. The old one is 925XE and the new one is 945G. I do not know what a chipset is so I do not know if this could cause the problem. If it does, how can I remedy this?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you know what kind of motherboard you have?
James

Edited by james_8970, 10 January 2007 - 08:16 PM.

XsNRG

XsNRG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
on ur MOBO look closely for a CMOS jumper... also states on ur MOBO installation book.. try switching the pins http://www.sysopt.co...000/09/batt.gif go there and see that black thing on the higher side of the blue box around the CMOS jumper u can take that off those pins and switching em to the bottom 2 instead of the top 2 and vice versa soo first switch em to the opposite of what they are now and then turn it on.. it should work. but after reset them if the Monitor doesnt turn on.. maybe thatll fix it

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's an ABIT AA8XE. What does switching those jumpers do?

XsNRG

XsNRG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ir resets the BIOS and if it is on the wrong one the motherboard wont turn on..

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So even though the CPU and motherboard use different chipsets, I can reset the BIOS and it will work?

XsNRG

XsNRG

• Pip
  • 4 posts
chipsets have nothing to do with ur problem so yes.. try messing with those jumpers

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
flashing your bios is going to have no affect on your situation if your motherboard does not suppot the cpu. It has nothing to do with jumping the cmos and everything to do with voltage regulation from the motherboard. Which cannot be fixed without getting a differen't motherboard. You can upgrade you bios to a higher revision by checking the site of you mobo manufacturer, but other then that you would be best advised to get a new motherboard

Lord of the View

Lord of the View

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I tried resetting the BIOS, with no change. I just put the old CPU back in. I'll get a new motherboard later. It's not a priority. Thanks for the help everyone.