Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SP2 shows HD at around 1/2 size.

• Please log in to reply

lhcbc

lhcbc

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just reformatted, then reinstalled XP SP2. During format, the HD was identified properly as 80GB (76...GB) . While installing the rest of my software and files, I get a low diskspace message. I go to My Computer and it indicates that the HD is only 39 GB HD. Can someone tell me what happened and how to fix this? (Hopefully without reformatting, again.) Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, BC

Edited by lhcbc, 09 January 2007 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Did u look in my computer or did u look in disk managmenet?
In the disk managment u can c the full size DISK that the operating system recognizes and not the PARTITION.
What did u find?

lhcbc

lhcbc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I found the missing portion of my HD. It was unpartitioned space. That told me where it was. So before reading any further information like my messages, I reformatted my HD again and installed XP without using the "Restore Disks" that came with my computer. That is what I was using that incorrectly formatted my HD to cause this problem. Then I put all my documents back on my system from my back up.

I wish I had read my emails so that I would have read your response telling me (at that time), that I could partion that space right there in Disk Management. As you suggested, I would have used C:\ drive for my operating system, and D:\ drive for my data and documents.

Thanks for the help! :whistling:

BC.