Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Not Turning On

• Please log in to reply

cmac24

cmac24

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Last night the power went out in my neighborhood. My PC was on at the time. Since the power came back, I have not been able to turn on my computer. When the same thing happened before, the machine has almost always started up right away. if I had trouble it was only for a few minutes. if it helps the power went off at 7 PM and came back on around 8 PM. I'm at work now so i can't check, though it still wasn't working when I left at 8 AM. The computer is an HP pavillion (don't recall #) running windows XP and it's about 3 years old. I'm not sure if there's anything else you need to know about the computer to be able to help. What could be wrong with the PC? Is there anything I can try to get it to start up? If I can't get it working, should the data on the hard drive be retrievable? I haven't backed up my files in a while so there are some files that I would like to have. Thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Well does it get power at all? any lights on machine? fans spin? it not, most likely the power supply finally died..... if you have a lot of these power outages I would recommend that when you get it fixed that you purchase a decent UPS ( uniteruptable power supply )

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
There is a blinking green light on the back of the unit. No other lights and the fans definitely aren't spinning. When I press the power button, nothing happens. If it is the power supply, is it a relatively simple fix?

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
if its the power supply you just replace the power supply.... The relative ease somewhat depends on the computer... usually you take out 3 or 4 screws and unplug all the plugs.... some cases make it difficult to get to everything or have strange routings of cords etc but it's a relatively easy repair....

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hopefully this is the power supply and not motherboard damage. Take serious caution when you replace the power supply. Read all the directions, and only do it yourself if you are comfortable. Was this a power outage that was random during fair weather, or was the outage due to an electrical storm? Are you connected to a surge protector?

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It is connected to a surge protector, but it's a pretty old one about 10 years old. The outtage wasn't from an electrical storm. If it wasn't from an electrical storm does that make it more or less likely that the motherboard was effected? I will be careful. Thanks.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
ooo 10 years is pretty old... open up the case and see if you see any burnt marks on the mobo or bulged + burnt capicators...

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I replaced the power supply, but the PC still won't turn on. With the old power supply, the green light on the back was flashing. After replacing with a new power supply, the green light would be solid and then turn off when I pressed the power button. I checked the motherboard and other circuits and it looked fine to me. Could it be a bad wire or is there something else i could check?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Did you make sure the little 12v connector is on?

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm an idiot...what is the 12v connector?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
IT looks something like this.
http://www.hardwares....php?image=3646

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
As far as I can tell it's connected. I'll double check today.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
look in your manul and see if there are anything on FLASHING LIGHTs, cuz sometimes the MOBO uses these to signal problems witht he MOBO.... check to see if the light is form the mobo or from other thingy... also double check all your parts for anything taht is a smudge...

cmac24

cmac24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The situation has been resolved. Sorry it took me so long to respond. The 12v connector wasn't connected properly. Thank you guys for all your help.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Haha, knew it.

Your welcome.