Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express Problem

• Please log in to reply

CaptainBo

CaptainBo

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Not sure what has caused my problem, but after I shut down my Outlook Express and then want to re-start Outlook Express, it does not open. If I want to open this program, I have to re-start my laptop. Thank you :tazz: Please ;)

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
May sound stupid but how many files in your inbox?

CaptainBo

CaptainBo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I hardly have any; I clear out my inbox on a daily basis. The problem seems to appear when I am using the aDSL. When I was using cable, I didn't have this problem. Thanks for your inquiry.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
outlok express 6? I Assume

CaptainBo

CaptainBo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes that's correct; additional ID is: (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Is this what's Happening
If you quit Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, cancel the offline synchronization, and then immediately start a new instance of Outlook 2003, Outlook 2003 quits after five seconds.
I noticed Major Payne is looking at this Thread he might be better at it then me, But I won't give up

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Try Outlook Express Recovery Tool at :

http://www.mailnavig...ok_express.html

Or see this forum's link for IE :

Repair Internet Explorer 6.0

Ron

CaptainBo

CaptainBo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
RE: Post from peterm on 04/05 03:04PM - It does not matter if I try to re-start the Outlook Express immediately after closing the program or 30 minutes later; it does not open, and all I get as a "ding" from the speaker. Thanks for trying.

RE: Post from Major Payne on 04/05 03:08 PM - Is the Outlook Express tied into IE? It seems that this problem keeps coming up when I use aDSL but not when I use Cable modem. I will try your fixes later this week. Thanks for your help.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

RE: Post from Major Payne on 04/05  03:08 PM - Is the Outlook Express tied into IE? It seems that this problem keeps coming up when I use aDSL but not when I use Cable modem. I will try your fixes later this week. Thanks for your help.

View Post

Unfortunately yes. Seems Outlook Express is packaged with IE so when you update IE version x to IE latest version, it also updates OE. That's why I gave you the link to repair IE. At the bottom. Admin has given a good link for repairing both apps in Win XP from M$ " M$ KNOWLEDGE DATABASE : How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP.

Just follow directions given. You might think about changing to another browser and mail client. Firefox and Thunderbird are good. I'm sure others will provide their favorites, too.

Working on broadband, but not DSL. :tazz: That may be a significant clue, but try above first. Could be that you need to set connection possibly in OE's Tools>Options>Connection tab. At a lost myself.

Ron

CaptainBo

CaptainBo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, thanks Major Payne. I've been thinking about getting away from IE for some time now, but it seems to be like, I know what I have but not sure what I'll get. I will look into Firefox; heard its really good. Have a great weekend,

Bo

sfinks

sfinks

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Not sure what has caused my problem, but after I shut down my Outlook Express and then want to re-start Outlook Express, it does not open. If I want to open this program, I have to re-start my laptop. Thank you :tazz:  Please ;)

View Post

I can suggest try it...
http://www.oemailrec...ess-repair.html Outlook Express Repair and recovery Outlook Express folders and emails
http://www.oemailrec...ok-express.html Repair Outlook Express and Windows Address Book tools. Repair and recovery Outlook Express folders and emails. Undelete Outlook Express messages. Recovering and repairing Windows Address Book. And
http://www.mail-repair.com Easy Outlook Express repair tools. - Repairing a damaged or corrupted Outlook Express folders ands messages.