Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTFS format from windows disk, quick or normal?

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there,
ive just built a system, and everything SEEMS to be ok, as ive put the windows disk in to install XP, its asked me wether i wat to format thedisk usin NTFS (quick) or just NTFS.

Its a new 320 GB hard drive straight outta the wrapper, so i was wondering which of these format methods to go for. and as its a new drive would it be better to do the full slow format?

could you also please explain to me the dofferences between the 2

manuy many thanks in advance Bob

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hard question...but

i THINK the difference between the two is that the quick format removes all the data on the drive but leaves all the partition and allocation tables in tact to get reused...where as the full format completely removes and requilds all of that (i.e. removes the old partition and allocation tables then makes new ones)

i would think that either method would be fine on a new drive..but i personally tend to do the long format when i format....gives me time to eat a snack or whatever...plus i just feel better about it for some weird reason...it's kind of up to you on a new drive though...i don't think there should be much noticable difference between the two