Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another "A DISK READ ERROR HAS OCCURRED PRESS..."

• Please log in to reply

Dougger

Dougger

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did a search, here and in general with Google. For some reason I haven't found my exact situation. So here goes:

I decided to shrink a logical partition so I could expand my primary partition, using Norton Partition Magic 8.0. Before doing that, I elected to convert the primary (boot) partition to NTFS. After 2 restart-chkdisk-convert cycles, it appeared that the conversion had completed. But after the last reboot, the first thing that happens when it hit the HDD is "A DISK READ ERROR HAS OCCURRED PRESS CTRL+ALT+DEL TO RESTART".

My first thought was to boot off of the XP install CD and go through the recovery options. However, the system will not boot off of CD, even after I put CDROM first in boot sequence in bios. For all I know, this could be a case of a faulty CDROM, as it's long in the tooth and has been acting badly as of late. It is one of two CD drives, the other is an HP 9900 CD-RW. I'll try hooking it up by itself and see if it boots.

I'm at work now, just trying to compile as much ammo as possible for my ordeal later. I intend to go through the "repairing XP" steps located elsewhere on the board which I bookmarked. I guess what I want to know is, is there anything I missed so far, does it look like my approach is worthwhile, and most importantly, has anyone else experienced this error after said conversion, and how'd it turn out?

-Doug

Edit: I see my system info doesn't appear under my s/n, so: Abit BE6 MB, 512 MB RAM, 550 mhz PIII (Good 'ol Slot 1) - Kickin' system, no?
Edit2: Oh yeah, WinXP SP2. Installed last week. So much for early adoption.

Edited by Dougger, 09 January 2007 - 12:24 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Hi doug. just one observation. After setting CD-ROM as the first boot device in the BIOS settings, getting your system to actually boot from the XP CD requires you to watch for the message "press any key to boot from CD" (and you must press any key at that point). Are you aware of that?

Forgive me if you already knew that!

Dougger

Dougger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
No problem...Yes, I remember that from setting Dells up. With my setup, I don't recall seeing that particular message. It goes something like:
Bios display, Del to enter setup
Password
Highpoint IDE driver verbiage
Adaptec RAID array discovery and setup prompt
hardware table plus "verifying DMI pool"
-Error- (before any Windows screen)

I'll look again though. Maybe I'm so used to the way it starts up, I may not have noticed it.

Edit: I'll add that it's AMI BIOS, FWIW (can't remember rev)

Edited by Dougger, 09 January 2007 - 01:51 PM.

Dougger

Dougger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Alrighty then, thought I'd post my lack of progress so far.

Couldn't get CDROM to boot. Hooked both units up individually, set as master. Hit keys continuously on bootup, to the drum line of "wipeout" - still no booty. In the process, the older one, a Goldstar slot-feed, ate my WinXP startup disc. Removal and dismantling ensued; got CD out.

Then I decided to bite the bullet, and create the six startup floppies as downloaded from http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en.

After creating floppies, fed them on startup until Disk #3 started throwing read errors. Replaced it, recreated it, then #4 errored out. Realized 15 year-old floppy drive has probably also run its course. Multiple simultaneaous failures, YAY!

Didn't take long to describe, but I was up until 2am futzing with this.

So I'm off to the CompUSA after work to pick up fresh floppies and a new floppy drive. Tempted to pick up new MOBO and CPU and associated sundries, but should probably do some more research to maximize bang/buck.

Someone said something to the effect in another thread that a PC from 1999 isn't that old. Au contraire.

Dougger

Dougger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well I was hoping to report success, but alas.

I got the floppies working. Got into the Recovery console, and applied Fixboot and FixMBR, as well as BootCFG. Same Error.

Then I specified a restore to the existing OS. Started the install from CD, then got to a point where this message appeared:

THE FOLLOWING VALUE IN THE .SIF FILE USED BY SETUP IS CORRUPTED OR MISSING:

VALUE 0 ON THE LINE [SourceDisksFiles] WITH KEY "SP2.CAB"

SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE. TO QUIT SETUP, PRESS F3.

So what should I make of this? Is the pooch screwed?

Edited by Dougger, 10 January 2007 - 11:10 PM.

Dougger

Dougger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Continuing my monologue (I think they're calling them 'blogs' these days :whistling: ):

Ah hah! I think I see what the problem is. It comes under the heading of "what was I smoking when..."

It looks like I downloaded the wrong version of the setup disks file; i.e., I downloaded the file for XP original rather than XP Home SP2. Even though I recall having paid attention to that, I guess I got crossed up on which download page I had landed on.

Although I think I may have unnecessarily blown away my original installation, so probably a restore at this point is not an option. C'est la vie.

Edited by Dougger, 11 January 2007 - 09:23 AM.