Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer Chip Fan failure?!

• Please log in to reply

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Recently I have been getting the following error on bootup

"Your Computer Chip Fan Fail or speed to low"

I quickly looked this error up and the general reason is that the fan is to slow or has failed completely. (I believe its not the CPU fan, its the chipset fan, because the CPU fan is spinning and the other one is making noise.) However the puzzling part is that the error happens off and on randomly. So if I get the error one boot up I just reset and it seems to work just fine. The motherboard is a Asus A8N-SLI and my system is still covered at my local PC store. They said I would have to bring it in so they could look to see if anything is wrong, but I want to go into the store with more information then "sometimes I get this error". Any other information or tests would be helpful to know so I can go into the shop with as much info as possible.

PS I do play games and burn DVDs and the PC does not crash or lockup, but I always make sure that I DON'T get that error, but I dont want it to get worse and worse.

Tjvelcro

Edited by Tjvelcro, 09 January 2007 - 12:56 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you could have a faulty sensor on your motherboard....if the fans are in fact spinning and spinning at what looks like a good speed...then the motherboard's sensor may have failed..causing it to report incorrectly...could also be that the fan is actually running slow....if it's covered under warranty they should be able to fix either problem at the shop (either by replacing the motherboard or the fan...whichever is bad)

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You mention that one of the fans is making noise. What kind of noise? It is something other than a normal fan noise?

As the error states, it could be that the fan is not running at the speed that it should be. There are programs which you can check to see what the fan speed is. I think that Everest gives that information.

There is a cutoff point at which the error is determined and it could be that the fan is right around that edge. You do want to get it fixed since if the fan completely fails, then you could have a toaster. It could, as said, as be the sensor.

Tjvelcro

Tjvelcro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I checked visually and all the fans seem to be working, except for that noise and I can't get the error to come back so I can't see if the fan has completely stopped, I will keep th side off just in case it stops and I can visually see it.

As for the noise it sounds it sounds like humming but not completely contant, as if it is slowing down for a second or 2 then speeding back to the humming noise.

I will be taking it in before Friday so I can get this fixed.

Tjvelcro